Alcools 
Possibly the best book of poetry I've ever read. Does this say more about the book or how sadly few books of poetry I've read, I'll leave up to you. After you read this, of course. Which you should. I reap upon it all the hyperbolic praise your imagination can muster.
and with the first line....At last you're tired of this elderly world

I really struggled with whether to give this collection of poems 3 stars or 4. There were definitely a couple of poems that deserved five stars, but overall I decided on 3 because it was good, but didn't meet my high expectations.
And turning my eyes from all the empty futureI see the whole past growing in myself.Nothing is dead but what has not become:*I have had the courage to look backward.The cadavers of my daysMark the way Ive come and I weep for them.[]In the garden of my memory.
If you were never quite sure what the word "lyricism" meant, read this book. Apollinaire pays his due to formal constraints such as meter and rhyme, yet never gets bogged down by them. Like wily Hermes with his winged sandals, Apollinaire leaps athletically from image to image as though following the directives of some wild angelic muse, rather than obeying the dictates of ordinary terrestrial logic. The result is an exciting, spontaneous, unpredictable poetry whose substance it would be
Intriguing, but also slightly unsatisfying. "Snapshot" pieces like The Farewell, Twilight, The Gypsy and The House of the Dead are deeply moving and evocative, but poems like Zone drone on and on like a bland Rimbaud. All and all, I fear this is simply a poor translation. I must investigate Apollinaire further.
Guillaume Apollinaire
Paperback | Pages: 185 pages Rating: 4.04 | 5204 Users | 103 Reviews

Present Regarding Books Alcools
| Title | : | Alcools |
| Author | : | Guillaume Apollinaire |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 185 pages |
| Published | : | August 25th 1995 by Wesleyan University Press (first published 1913) |
| Categories | : | Poetry. Cultural. France. Classics. European Literature. French Literature. Literature. 20th Century. Fiction |
Representaion In Pursuance Of Books Alcools
Alcools, first published in 1913 and one of the few indispensable books of twentieth- century poetry, provides a key to the century's history and consciousness. Champion of "cubism," Guillaume Apollinaire (1880-1918) fashions in verse the sonic equivalent of what Picasso accomplishes in his cubist works: simultaneity. Apollinaire has been so influential that without him there would have been no New York School of poetry and no Beat Movement. This new translation reveals his complex, beautiful, and wholly contemporary poetry. Printed with the original French on facing pages.Be Specific About Books In Favor Of Alcools
| Original Title: | Alcools |
| ISBN: | 0819512281 (ISBN13: 9780819512284) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Rating Regarding Books Alcools
Ratings: 4.04 From 5204 Users | 103 ReviewsColumn Regarding Books Alcools
Best French poetry ever.Possibly the best book of poetry I've ever read. Does this say more about the book or how sadly few books of poetry I've read, I'll leave up to you. After you read this, of course. Which you should. I reap upon it all the hyperbolic praise your imagination can muster.
and with the first line....At last you're tired of this elderly world

I really struggled with whether to give this collection of poems 3 stars or 4. There were definitely a couple of poems that deserved five stars, but overall I decided on 3 because it was good, but didn't meet my high expectations.
And turning my eyes from all the empty futureI see the whole past growing in myself.Nothing is dead but what has not become:*I have had the courage to look backward.The cadavers of my daysMark the way Ive come and I weep for them.[]In the garden of my memory.
If you were never quite sure what the word "lyricism" meant, read this book. Apollinaire pays his due to formal constraints such as meter and rhyme, yet never gets bogged down by them. Like wily Hermes with his winged sandals, Apollinaire leaps athletically from image to image as though following the directives of some wild angelic muse, rather than obeying the dictates of ordinary terrestrial logic. The result is an exciting, spontaneous, unpredictable poetry whose substance it would be
Intriguing, but also slightly unsatisfying. "Snapshot" pieces like The Farewell, Twilight, The Gypsy and The House of the Dead are deeply moving and evocative, but poems like Zone drone on and on like a bland Rimbaud. All and all, I fear this is simply a poor translation. I must investigate Apollinaire further.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.