The Swan Kingdom 
Alexandra has more gifts than even she realizes as she is confronted with magic, murder, and the strongest of evil forces. She is unflinchly brave and clever as she struggles to reclaim what she knows is rightfully hers.
This new voice in fantasy weaves a tale rich in visual detail, peppered with a formidable destructive force, and sweetened with familial and romantic love.
I am being extra cranky about books at the moment, so I think this one gets three stars purely because I didn't grumble at it and I read it in record time. It's a relatively straightforward retelling of the fairytale about the girl whose brothers are turned into swans; it of course has an evil stepmother, and a love interest. I actually confess to being kind of interested in Gabriel, but his storyline didn't really come to much other than love interest -- though it's better than if he got all
I think this book would have worked better had it broken completely from the fairy tale (six swansor any of the other many versions by which its known) since the connection to the original was so thin. I liked the magical kingdom, with its matriarchal, druid feel. However, I was frequently confused by setting, as I was constantly being surprised by more advanced technologies than I expected in the area. I was disappointed that the nettles played so little a role in the book and that the problems

I adore fairy tale retellings and the synopsis of The Swan Kingdom held enough promise to get me well and truly excited, but unfortunately the story never really gets off the ground. Much could have been forgiven regarding the rather flat story, awkward dialogue and melodramatic prose if our heroine, Alexandra, had only been more likable, or her romance (one of the key points of any fairy tale!) was better developed. But it failed on both these points, and what was left was a rather forgettable
I really enjoyed this poetic retelling of the Six Swans fairy tale. Alexandra, youngest child of the king, is an ugly little thing, but useful. She can use the enaid, the power of the land, to do little things like healing and talking to the beasts and creatures of the land. Her mother's ability to wield the enaid is greater and soaks through the kingdom, bringing lush growth and bountiful crops. Alexandra's three brothers, David, Hugh and Robin, posses little of the gift, but have their own
It's so hard for me not to compare any retelling that even touches on swans (The Wild Swans, The Six Swans, doesn't matter) without comparing it to Daughter of the Forest , so I was really worried going in that I would unconsciously (or even consciously) be setting The Swan Kingdom up to fail. But it amazed me how little I felt myself needing to compare. This isn't to say I didn't compare, because I definitely did, especially when it comes to the depth of the story (in which case I compared it
Alexandra is youngest child and only daughter of the King & Queen and has always felt like an ugly duckling amongst her family. She loves spending time with her mother and brothers but doesn't get on so well with her father who finds her a disappointment because she isn't pretty enough. She loves learning about the healing properties of plants and how to use the magic of the earth from her mother and has become a skilled healer. Alexandra's life changes dramatically when her mother is killed
Zoë Marriott
Hardcover | Pages: 258 pages Rating: 3.78 | 4665 Users | 396 Reviews

Present Books Conducive To The Swan Kingdom
| Original Title: | The Swan Kingdom |
| ISBN: | 0763634816 (ISBN13: 9780763634810) |
| Edition Language: | English URL http://www.candlewick.com/cat.asp?browse=Title&mode=book&isbn=0763634816&pix=n |
| Literary Awards: | Cybils Award (2008) |
Rendition In Favor Of Books The Swan Kingdom
Shadows have fallen across the beautiful and lush Kingdom. The queen was attacked by an unnatural beast, and the healing skills of her daughter, Alexandra, cannot save her. Too soon the widowed king is spellbound by a frightening stranger - a woman whose eyes reflect no light. In a terrifying moment, all Alexandra knows disappears, including her beloved brothers, leaving her banished to a barren land unlike her own.Alexandra has more gifts than even she realizes as she is confronted with magic, murder, and the strongest of evil forces. She is unflinchly brave and clever as she struggles to reclaim what she knows is rightfully hers.
This new voice in fantasy weaves a tale rich in visual detail, peppered with a formidable destructive force, and sweetened with familial and romantic love.
List Regarding Books The Swan Kingdom
| Title | : | The Swan Kingdom |
| Author | : | Zoë Marriott |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | 1st U.S. ed. |
| Pages | : | Pages: 258 pages |
| Published | : | March 25th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published March 5th 2007) |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Young Adult. Fairy Tales. Romance. Retellings. Magic |
Rating Regarding Books The Swan Kingdom
Ratings: 3.78 From 4665 Users | 396 ReviewsCriticize Regarding Books The Swan Kingdom
Loved it. An awesome retelling. Marriott's writing was very clear and intricate. I was impress how easily she described and related magical situations and feelings that are normally difficult to understand and imagine.I am being extra cranky about books at the moment, so I think this one gets three stars purely because I didn't grumble at it and I read it in record time. It's a relatively straightforward retelling of the fairytale about the girl whose brothers are turned into swans; it of course has an evil stepmother, and a love interest. I actually confess to being kind of interested in Gabriel, but his storyline didn't really come to much other than love interest -- though it's better than if he got all
I think this book would have worked better had it broken completely from the fairy tale (six swansor any of the other many versions by which its known) since the connection to the original was so thin. I liked the magical kingdom, with its matriarchal, druid feel. However, I was frequently confused by setting, as I was constantly being surprised by more advanced technologies than I expected in the area. I was disappointed that the nettles played so little a role in the book and that the problems

I adore fairy tale retellings and the synopsis of The Swan Kingdom held enough promise to get me well and truly excited, but unfortunately the story never really gets off the ground. Much could have been forgiven regarding the rather flat story, awkward dialogue and melodramatic prose if our heroine, Alexandra, had only been more likable, or her romance (one of the key points of any fairy tale!) was better developed. But it failed on both these points, and what was left was a rather forgettable
I really enjoyed this poetic retelling of the Six Swans fairy tale. Alexandra, youngest child of the king, is an ugly little thing, but useful. She can use the enaid, the power of the land, to do little things like healing and talking to the beasts and creatures of the land. Her mother's ability to wield the enaid is greater and soaks through the kingdom, bringing lush growth and bountiful crops. Alexandra's three brothers, David, Hugh and Robin, posses little of the gift, but have their own
It's so hard for me not to compare any retelling that even touches on swans (The Wild Swans, The Six Swans, doesn't matter) without comparing it to Daughter of the Forest , so I was really worried going in that I would unconsciously (or even consciously) be setting The Swan Kingdom up to fail. But it amazed me how little I felt myself needing to compare. This isn't to say I didn't compare, because I definitely did, especially when it comes to the depth of the story (in which case I compared it
Alexandra is youngest child and only daughter of the King & Queen and has always felt like an ugly duckling amongst her family. She loves spending time with her mother and brothers but doesn't get on so well with her father who finds her a disappointment because she isn't pretty enough. She loves learning about the healing properties of plants and how to use the magic of the earth from her mother and has become a skilled healer. Alexandra's life changes dramatically when her mother is killed


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.