List Books Conducive To The Wall
| Original Title: | Die Wand |
| ISBN: | 1573440949 (ISBN13: 9781573440943) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | "Cat", an unnamed woman, her dog, cow |
| Setting: | The Alps, Europe Austria |
Marlen Haushofer
Paperback | Pages: 240 pages Rating: 4.02 | 6212 Users | 673 Reviews

Details Containing Books The Wall
| Title | : | The Wall |
| Author | : | Marlen Haushofer |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 240 pages |
| Published | : | November 16th 1999 by Cleis Press (first published 1963) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Science Fiction. European Literature. German Literature. Dystopia. Apocalyptic. Post Apocalyptic |
Chronicle To Books The Wall
First published to acclaim in Germany, The Wall chronicles the life of the last surviving human on earth, an ordinary middle-aged woman who awakens one morning to find that everyone else has vanished. Assuming her isolation to be the result of a military experiment gone awry, she begins the terrifying work of survival and self-renewal. This novel is at once a simple and moving tale and a disturbing meditation on humanity.Rating Containing Books The Wall
Ratings: 4.02 From 6212 Users | 673 ReviewsRate Containing Books The Wall
http://msarki.tumblr.com/post/1468064...What a marvelous book. It is beyond me why this novel is classified a feminist classic as it holds up as something great no matter whose sex wrote it. This is a story of redemption under grave circumstances. It is a tale of determination and persistence in the face of uncertain and daunting circumstances. The novel could be deemed an instruction manual on how to live a life with ones own self, alone and entrusted with responsibilities perhaps too great forThe story begins on the 5th of November, the day the protagonist, a middle aged woman, begins to write a report of what has occured over the last two years, since she became isolated in a hunting lodge where she had been visiting her cousin Luise and Luise's husband Hugo.Some kind of unwitnessed catastophic event occurs, creating an invisible wall between that which lives and that which doesn't. Luise and Hugo went to the village, putting them on the deathly side of the event. Sending their dog
How did I not find this book when I was writing Our Endless Numbered Days? I'd not even heard of it until recently. It is wonderful. An unexplained and invisible wall comes down trapping the narrator in section of the Austrian Alps with only a dog and some basic provisions. She has decided to write 'a report' of what happened, and so in looking back we get tiny snippets of what has happened in her present, just enough to tease us and keep us wondering. The report, and nearly all of the book is a

The Wall is not just an uncompromising meditation on a life of unexpected perpetual solitude. It is also the greatest book ever written that takes place in and around a cow barn.The reviewer at Kirkus cautions that this book is "not for macho readers," but I object. Despite lengthy passages of post-societal domestic caretaking like feeding the thankless cat (some things never change), cultivating edible nettles, and monitoring an inventory of survivalist essentials like firewood, bullets,
The plot is essentially that of Robinson Crusoe, albeit more boring and with a more back-to-nature theme. The protagonist becomes isolated in an island of sorts--a section of the Alps surrounded by an invisible wall. I read this in the original German, but I have to admit I skimmed much of the last third, as it became very drawn-out, and the details of the daily activities of the protagonist--collecting berries, chopping firewood, hunting with the dog--soon became tiresome. There are some
I discovered Marlen Haushofers The Wall through a friend's review of the film version of the book. It looked like a dystopian novel and I also suspected that Stephen Kings Under the Dome was inspired by Haushofers book in some ways. Something about the book tugged at my heart, and I couldnt articulate it then. So, I went and got the book and started reading it last week. I finished reading it yesterday. Here is what I think.The story told in The Wall is simple. The nameless heroine, a
Quite possibly the most profound book I've ever read. I was unable to put it down, and read it obsessively over the course of a week. The woman's survival and taking care of her few animals while profoundly alone in the mountains was quite awe-inspiring, and her relationship with her animals moved me to tears. A must-read.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.