Little, Big 
I'm not going to try and write a detailed review of this book. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Though I suppose outlining how 'epic' the story is would be a decent starting point. 'Epic' in what sense? Well, it's between 500 and 600 pages for a start, depending on which edition you have, so it's not a light undertaking (literally!). But more importantly, it's epic in the way it recounts the Tale of the Drinkwater family, across four generations, spanning the 20th century, and a seemingly
Qué complicado hacer una reseña de esta novela. Un libro que requiere por sà solo una redefinición de lo fantástico según Ursula K. Le Guin. La palabra fascinante se queda corta para describirla.Pequeño, grande, o El parlamento de las hadas. Pequeño es, quizás, la saga familiar de los Bebeagua, una historia de amor algo revuelta, la historia de Fumo Barnable, un personaje anodino que llega de la ciudad para vivir en Bosquedelinde, esa maravilla arquitectónica que proyectó el bisabuelo de Llana

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature."Don't be sad. It's all so much larger than you think."Smoky Barnable lives in the City and thinks of himself as anonymous. His father is dead and his step-siblings have forgotten him. He has no friends at all until he meets George Mouse who introduces him to his strange family. Smoky falls in love with one of George's cousins, Daily Alice Drinkwater, and he moves upcountry to the Drinkwater estate called Edgewood. At his wedding he meets the Drinkwater
This is the spoiler free review for Little, Big by John Crowley. If you would like to read the very long and somewhat confusing synopsis and spoiler full review please visit https://amanjareads.com/2020/01/23/li...I'm calling Little, Big an American fantasy novel simply because it needs it's own genre. It's closest to fantasy but it's not hard fantasy with magic wands or full shapeshifters. It's more like magical realism but the magic isn't accidental or incidental.It's fantasy set in the early
This is the third time I've read this book. Why keep reading a book that I've only (begrudgingly) given two stars too? Because every time I've finished it I did so loathing it, but as time passed I always forgot why I loathed it and became slightly convinced that it was me, and not the book, that I hadn't read it carefully enough, or thought about it properly, that there was some thing that could easily be removed that once I figured it out would leave me honestly loving a book I'd only felt
Reading "Little, Big" you find every last detail infused with magic, wonder and mystery. When you encounter a talking stork, you think "Of course, why wouldn't the stork talk?". A lot of the Gnostic and Hermetic concepts that Crowley explores in the Aegypt tetraology are also here in some form. They're given a less complete treatment, but nonetheless permeate the novel, including the "Art of Memory" as practiced by Giordano Bruno in Aegypt, and by Ariel Hawskquill and Auberon Drinkwater here.
John Crowley
Paperback | Pages: 538 pages Rating: 3.83 | 9614 Users | 1338 Reviews

Details Books In Favor Of Little, Big
| Original Title: | Little, Big |
| ISBN: | 0061120057 (ISBN13: 9780061120053) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Hugo Award Nominee for Best Novel (1982), Nebula Award Nominee for Best Novel (1981), Locus Award Nominee for Best Fantasy Novel (1982), World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1982), Mythopoeic Fantasy Award (1982) British Science Fiction Association Award Nominee for Best Novel (1982), Balrog Award Nominee for Best Novel (1982), Seiun Award 星雲賞 Nominee for Best Foreign Novel (1998) |
Representaion As Books Little, Big
John Crowley's masterful Little, Big is the epic story of Smoky Barnable, an anonymous young man who travels by foot from the City to a place called Edgewood—not found on any map—to marry Daily Alice Drinkwater, as was prophesied. It is the story of four generations of a singular family, living in a house that is many houses on the magical border of an otherworld. It is a story of fantastic love and heartrending loss; of impossible things and unshakable destinies; and of the great Tale that envelops us all. It is a wonder.Mention Containing Books Little, Big
| Title | : | Little, Big |
| Author | : | John Crowley |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 538 pages |
| Published | : | October 17th 2006 by Harper Collins Publishers (first published September 1981) |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Fiction. Magical Realism. Science Fiction Fantasy |
Rating Containing Books Little, Big
Ratings: 3.83 From 9614 Users | 1338 ReviewsJudge Containing Books Little, Big
I'm not going to try and write a detailed review of this book. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Though I suppose outlining how 'epic' the story is would be a decent starting point. 'Epic' in what sense? Well, it's between 500 and 600 pages for a start, depending on which edition you have, so it's not a light undertaking (literally!). But more importantly, it's epic in the way it recounts the Tale of the Drinkwater family, across four generations, spanning the 20th century, and a seemingly
Qué complicado hacer una reseña de esta novela. Un libro que requiere por sà solo una redefinición de lo fantástico según Ursula K. Le Guin. La palabra fascinante se queda corta para describirla.Pequeño, grande, o El parlamento de las hadas. Pequeño es, quizás, la saga familiar de los Bebeagua, una historia de amor algo revuelta, la historia de Fumo Barnable, un personaje anodino que llega de la ciudad para vivir en Bosquedelinde, esa maravilla arquitectónica que proyectó el bisabuelo de Llana

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature."Don't be sad. It's all so much larger than you think."Smoky Barnable lives in the City and thinks of himself as anonymous. His father is dead and his step-siblings have forgotten him. He has no friends at all until he meets George Mouse who introduces him to his strange family. Smoky falls in love with one of George's cousins, Daily Alice Drinkwater, and he moves upcountry to the Drinkwater estate called Edgewood. At his wedding he meets the Drinkwater
This is the spoiler free review for Little, Big by John Crowley. If you would like to read the very long and somewhat confusing synopsis and spoiler full review please visit https://amanjareads.com/2020/01/23/li...I'm calling Little, Big an American fantasy novel simply because it needs it's own genre. It's closest to fantasy but it's not hard fantasy with magic wands or full shapeshifters. It's more like magical realism but the magic isn't accidental or incidental.It's fantasy set in the early
This is the third time I've read this book. Why keep reading a book that I've only (begrudgingly) given two stars too? Because every time I've finished it I did so loathing it, but as time passed I always forgot why I loathed it and became slightly convinced that it was me, and not the book, that I hadn't read it carefully enough, or thought about it properly, that there was some thing that could easily be removed that once I figured it out would leave me honestly loving a book I'd only felt
Reading "Little, Big" you find every last detail infused with magic, wonder and mystery. When you encounter a talking stork, you think "Of course, why wouldn't the stork talk?". A lot of the Gnostic and Hermetic concepts that Crowley explores in the Aegypt tetraology are also here in some form. They're given a less complete treatment, but nonetheless permeate the novel, including the "Art of Memory" as practiced by Giordano Bruno in Aegypt, and by Ariel Hawskquill and Auberon Drinkwater here.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.