Describe Books As The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
| Original Title: | The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates |
| ISBN: | 0385528191 (ISBN13: 9780385528191) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Memoir and Autobiography (2010) |

Wes Moore
Hardcover | Pages: 233 pages Rating: 3.83 | 33200 Users | 4214 Reviews
Declare Out Of Books The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
| Title | : | The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates |
| Author | : | Wes Moore |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 233 pages |
| Published | : | April 27th 2010 by Spiegel & Grau |
| Categories | : | Nonfiction. Autobiography. Memoir. Biography. Academic. School. Biography Memoir. Sociology. Audiobook |
Narrative In Pursuance Of Books The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
Two kids with the same name lived in the same decaying city. One went on to be a Rhodes Scholar, decorated combat veteran, White House Fellow, and business leader. The other is serving a life sentence in prison. Here is the story of two boys and the journey of a generation.In December 2000, the Baltimore Sun ran a small piece about Wes Moore, a local student who had just received a Rhodes Scholarship. The same paper also ran a series of articles about four young men who had allegedly killed a police officer in a spectacularly botched armed robbery. The police were still hunting for two of the suspects who had gone on the lam, a pair of brothers. One was named Wes Moore.
Wes just couldn’t shake off the unsettling coincidence, or the inkling that the two shared much more than space in the same newspaper. After following the story of the robbery, the manhunt, and the trial to its conclusion, he wrote a letter to the other Wes, now a convicted murderer serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole. His letter tentatively asked the questions that had been haunting him: Who are you? How did this happen?
That letter led to a correspondence and relationship that have lasted for several years. Over dozens of letters and prison visits, Wes discovered that the other Wes had had a life not unlike his own: Both had grown up in similar neighborhoods and had had difficult childhoods, both were fatherless; they’d hung out on similar corners with similar crews, and both had run into trouble with the police. At each stage of their young lives they had come across similar moments of decision, yet their choices would lead them to astonishingly different destinies.
Told in alternating dramatic narratives that take readers from heart-wrenching losses to moments of surprising redemption, The Other Wes Moore tells the story of a generation of boys trying to find their way in a hostile world.
Rating Out Of Books The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
Ratings: 3.83 From 33200 Users | 4214 ReviewsNotice Out Of Books The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
I am reading this book during a very difficult time in the city where I live. This fall, and more specifically the last three weeks, there have been four shootings and three deaths of black males between the ages of 15 and 23. As someone who grew up in this community and has chosen to raise a family here, we as a community are grappling with these senseless deaths. I would not say that Wes Moore is a great writer, but he is an eloquent and impassioned writer on this subject which touches himDisclaimer: I have met the author Wes Moore. He was a student worker in the Career Center when I worked at Johns Hopkins. I didn't know him well, but did interact with him. Even then, it was apparent that he was a pretty extraordinary person. I was excited to read this book because I felt like I "knew" the characters and setting a bit.I think my knowledge of the author colored my ability to see this book as a comparison of two boys with the "there but for the grace of God..." ideal that the
I used to think I had a unique name. In school I was the only one with my name, so, by default, teachers and acquaintances used to think that it was a typo for something else. This lead to some embarrassing moments but I have lived to tell the tale. Wes Moore of Baltimore, Maryland does not have a unique first or last name. While Westley is not all that common, Moore is a surname found throughout the United States, so by the law of averages a name has to recur eventually. When he was about to

What if your life had taken a different path? How would you be different? How would your life be different? That is the premise of The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates, a book I heard about when it first came out and which I have watched over the last several years. Wes Moore (the author) is a kid from Baltimore whose father died when he was three. His family moved to Brooklyn to live with his grandparents. He got into trouble, was arrested (and let off), and sent to military school by his
Two young men of color, same name, different fates. This book really makes one think about the divisions one makes throughout their lives. What goes into these decisions, what effects the outcome. Lack of opportunity, pressure to make money, a mother that is overwhelmed, wanting to fit in, young prenthood, so many red flags. How to break the cycle without the means to do so. Even when given a second chance, outside pressure often dooms the person before he can take full advantage.So, what is the
Yes, Sir!! This book is a great way to spend time - considering on the consequences of choices we make all throughout our days, every day as the choser, and as the influencer of choices. We operate in so many different roles - leader, follower, parent, child, teacher, student, stranger, neighbor, hero, villan, friend, enemy, advocate, persecutor. . . .choices and roles interchange and tangle up within each of us every single day. Who are we going to be in this minute, in this class, in this day
How do two boys with the same name who live within the same community end up with lives on two completely different paths? After reading this book, my answer is "I'm not sure". The author, Moore, states that it's the result of multiple factors, including luck, and I don't disagree but if this analysis is at the center of this book's premise, then I'm afraid that Moore failed to meet his objective here (and adding a Call to Action by Tavis Smiley at the end of the book didn't solve this problem).


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.