The Marvels 
Nearly a century later, runaway Joseph Jervis seeks refuge with an uncle in London. Albert Nightingale's strange, beautiful house, with its mysterious portraits and ghostly presences, captivates Joseph and leads him on a search for clues about the house, his family, and the past.
Another wonderful, unique book with wonderful storylines and beautiful illustrations. After around half the book being a story of illustrations and no text, we meet Joseph, a run away, equally unhappy at school as at home, he has uninterested parents who are not present in his life and he doesn't fit in at school. Running away he reaches his uncle Andrew, whose artistic, museum like house gives Joseph a safe haven, a place to fit in and a mystery to solve. A book about discovering who you are
Well this was a strange one. The best I can say is the artwork was lovely. The first 400 pages of pencil sketches outline an interesting story of the Marvel family and spans a period of time from the 1760s until 1900. I liked where this story was going, it seemed to promise adventure, theatrical shenanigans and a kind of earnest delight in all things English. Selznick sketches facial features extremely well, particular adorable babies.The remainder of the book unfortunately reverts to what I

Enchanting illustrations and a striking story. A true masterpiece.
Wow.This was absolutely beautiful. The drawings and the story were amazing and very engaging. And the fact that it was so meta just topped it off for me. Holiday BookTubeAThon Read #3
This was great! Pretty atmosphere and symbolic, which made the book so meaningful and beautiful to read. I loved how the illustrations were woven into the story and the intricacies that went along with it, and this was definitely a well-done book that I'd recommend! Selznick is just a genius.
Thats what life is, Joseph realized, miracles and sadness, side by side. I fell in love with Brian Selznick's artwork in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I think is the reason I keep coming back to read his new books. I love the way his sketchbook-style, beautiful charcoal drawings resemble movie scenes, with the pages zooming in on characters' expressions. There are pages and pages of these wonderful drawings. The thing is, although I've always found Selznick's artwork stunning, his
Brian Selznick
Hardcover | Pages: 640 pages Rating: 3.97 | 16962 Users | 2712 Reviews

Identify Books As The Marvels
| Original Title: | The Marvels |
| ISBN: | 0545448689 (ISBN13: 9780545448680) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Setting: | London, England(United Kingdom) |
| Literary Awards: | Gouden Lijst Nominee for vertaald boek (2017), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Middle Grade & Children's (2015) |
Rendition Conducive To Books The Marvels
The journey begins at sea in 1766, with a boy named Billy Marvel. After surviving a shipwreck, he finds work in a London theatre. There, his family flourishes for generations as brilliant actors until 1900, when young Leontes Marvel is banished from the stage.Nearly a century later, runaway Joseph Jervis seeks refuge with an uncle in London. Albert Nightingale's strange, beautiful house, with its mysterious portraits and ghostly presences, captivates Joseph and leads him on a search for clues about the house, his family, and the past.
Point About Books The Marvels
| Title | : | The Marvels |
| Author | : | Brian Selznick |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 640 pages |
| Published | : | September 15th 2015 by Scholastic Press |
| Categories | : | Childrens. Middle Grade. Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Sequential Art. Graphic Novels. Young Adult |
Rating About Books The Marvels
Ratings: 3.97 From 16962 Users | 2712 ReviewsJudgment About Books The Marvels
Breathtaking.I've seen some people who don't love this book, and their reasons seem to mostly be because it's different from his others. Instead of the pictures being intermingled with the text, there is one complete story told in pictures for the first 2/3rds of the pages, then a story entirely in text for the rest of the book. But there's a reason why, and the reason is a very startling twist, and I loved it. His prose is very straightforward, simple really, and almost as quick to read as theAnother wonderful, unique book with wonderful storylines and beautiful illustrations. After around half the book being a story of illustrations and no text, we meet Joseph, a run away, equally unhappy at school as at home, he has uninterested parents who are not present in his life and he doesn't fit in at school. Running away he reaches his uncle Andrew, whose artistic, museum like house gives Joseph a safe haven, a place to fit in and a mystery to solve. A book about discovering who you are
Well this was a strange one. The best I can say is the artwork was lovely. The first 400 pages of pencil sketches outline an interesting story of the Marvel family and spans a period of time from the 1760s until 1900. I liked where this story was going, it seemed to promise adventure, theatrical shenanigans and a kind of earnest delight in all things English. Selznick sketches facial features extremely well, particular adorable babies.The remainder of the book unfortunately reverts to what I

Enchanting illustrations and a striking story. A true masterpiece.
Wow.This was absolutely beautiful. The drawings and the story were amazing and very engaging. And the fact that it was so meta just topped it off for me. Holiday BookTubeAThon Read #3
This was great! Pretty atmosphere and symbolic, which made the book so meaningful and beautiful to read. I loved how the illustrations were woven into the story and the intricacies that went along with it, and this was definitely a well-done book that I'd recommend! Selznick is just a genius.
Thats what life is, Joseph realized, miracles and sadness, side by side. I fell in love with Brian Selznick's artwork in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I think is the reason I keep coming back to read his new books. I love the way his sketchbook-style, beautiful charcoal drawings resemble movie scenes, with the pages zooming in on characters' expressions. There are pages and pages of these wonderful drawings. The thing is, although I've always found Selznick's artwork stunning, his


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.