Describe Books In Favor Of The Perilous Gard
| Original Title: | The Perilous Gard |
| ISBN: | 0618150730 (ISBN13: 9780618150731) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Kate Sutton, Christopher Heron |
| Setting: | Derbyshire, England,1558(United Kingdom) |
| Literary Awards: | Newbery Medal Nominee (1975), Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award Nominee (1976) |

Elizabeth Marie Pope
Paperback | Pages: 280 pages Rating: 4.09 | 7990 Users | 705 Reviews
Declare Out Of Books The Perilous Gard
| Title | : | The Perilous Gard |
| Author | : | Elizabeth Marie Pope |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 280 pages |
| Published | : | October 29th 2001 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1974) |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Historical. Historical Fiction. Young Adult. Fiction. Romance. Fairy Tales |
Relation In Pursuance Of Books The Perilous Gard
In 1558, while exiled by Queen Mary Tudor to a remote castle known as Perilous Gard, young Kate Sutton becomes involved in a series of mysterious events that lead her to an underground world peopled by Fairy Folk—whose customs are even older than the Druids’ and include human sacrifice.Rating Out Of Books The Perilous Gard
Ratings: 4.09 From 7990 Users | 705 ReviewsAssess Out Of Books The Perilous Gard
Of the several Tam Lin retellings I've read, the classic YA novel The Perilous Gard is a standout. I frequently sing the praises of Pamela Dean's version of Tam Lin, while knowing full well that that novel will only appeal to a limited subset of the fraction of readers who like fairy tale novelizations. Well, The Perilous Gard is for readers who prefer a more traditional retelling of Tam Lin. (It also, by the way, leaves out the racier aspects of the Tam Lin story - the woman who saves her loverThe year is 1558; two daughters of a prosperous merchant are ladies-in-waiting to the young Princess Elizabeth. Queen Mary becomes angry with the elder sister, Katherine Sutton, and banishes her to a remote northern castle, known as Elvenwood or, more traditionally, the Perilous Gard. There she leads a dull and lonely life. But Kate is a bright and curious young woman, and soon she is busy ferreting out mystery. From the dubious smoothness of the castle's manager, Master John, and the suspicious
Oh my word. This was so good.

I have half a mind just to reread all my favorite books. It's way more satisfying than I thought it would be. I first read this book about 4 years ago and forgot why I loved it so much. I actually forgot a lot more than I thought I did, but it's definitely a book worth rereading.From the start we see that Kate is in trouble for something her prettier, younger sister did and so is sent off to the Perilous Gard. Once there she finds little comfort from anyone. Just the maid's occasional
Originally posted here.I've had my copy of The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope since 2007 and I only got to read it recently. I don't know why I kept putting it off but I'm glad I finally picked it up. I've heard such good things about it and I believe I got the original recommendation for this from Sounis. I've been meaning to put up a Retro Friday post for a while and since this is an oldie but goodie, it seemed perfect for the meme.Kate is a lady's maid to Lady Elizabeth, sister to the
This is one of the most often re-read books in our house - definitely the one I read to the daughters the greatest number of times. And with good reason, as it's fantastic. First there's the Tam Lin element, which is used beautifully here. Then there's some of the best dialogue ever ('You don't look like any god to me, Christopher Heron. You look like a piece of gilded gingerbread.') And Kate's a wonderful heroine - intelligent, stubborn when it's about doing what she feels she should (or not
2.5 starsRead it on Holly Black's recommendation, and I can totally see why such a book would influence her own work, especially if she had read it as a young girl, a few decades ago. It has a strong heroine, an adventure, and a dash of romance. I would have loved it 20 years ago too, I think.My present day self though, with a few fairy novel under my belt and not exactly enamored with the writing style of 70s, found only a few things compelling. The fairy lore is by far the best aspect of this


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.