Free The Collected Poems, 1957-1982 Books Online

Share:

Itemize Books In Pursuance Of The Collected Poems, 1957-1982

Original Title: The Collected Poems of Wendell Berry, 1957-1982
ISBN: 0865471975 (ISBN13: 9780865471979)
Edition Language: English
Free The Collected Poems, 1957-1982  Books Online
The Collected Poems, 1957-1982 Paperback | Pages: 268 pages
Rating: 4.39 | 1676 Users | 72 Reviews

Declare Containing Books The Collected Poems, 1957-1982

Title:The Collected Poems, 1957-1982
Author:Wendell Berry
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 268 pages
Published:April 1st 1998 by North Point Press (first published April 1985)
Categories:Poetry. Environment. Nature. Nonfiction. Literature. American

Relation Concering Books The Collected Poems, 1957-1982

A longtime spokesman for conservation, common sense, and sustainable agriculture, Wendell Berry writes eloquently in several styles and methods. Among other literary forms, he is a poet of great clarity and sureness. His love of language and his care for its music are matched only by his fidelity to the subjects he has written of during his first twenty-five years of work: land and nature, the family and community, tradition as the groundwork for life and culture. His graceful elegies sit easily alongside lyrics of humor and biting satire. Husbandman and husband, philosopher and Mad Farmer, he writes of values that endure, of earthy truths and universal imagery. His vision is one of hope and memory, of determination and faithfulness. For this far-reaching yet portable volume, Berry has chosen nearly two hundred poems from his previous eight collections.


Rating Containing Books The Collected Poems, 1957-1982
Ratings: 4.39 From 1676 Users | 72 Reviews

Crit Containing Books The Collected Poems, 1957-1982
I'm no poetry buff, but this collection includes the only poem that's ever ripped my beating heart from my chest and made me want to run naked through the streets yelling "Enough of this hurried nonsense, go plant a tree for #%*'s sake!" (Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front)

I was given this book seven years ago by a friend who still a regular part of my life. I was given this book at my 30th birthday party. In the inside cover I wrote down all the names of the people who came to my party. I can still look over this list and remember how much I enjoyed that part. However, there is also some sadness as the great majority of those who attended I have lost all contact with. There are circumstances that explain this happening to some extent, but it is decidedly foreign

transplantive / what bradbury did for space, berry has done for the field

Perfect poems for the country. Nice to watch a poet's writing develop and themes evolve over half a lifetime. Wise words...

I recommend this book for everyone. It is deep, complex, simple, delightful, meaningful, and amazing. These poems are very accesible. THis book is for everyone from poets to children. Please pick this up and read. You will not forget it.

I like his poems, and a lot of them remind me of Robert Frost in style and composition, except for the overtly political ones. My two favorites are "Boone" and "We Who Prayed and Wept." With poetry, (and art), if I like it, that usually means I understand the poem and I didn't have to work to hard at "getting" it. Maybe that makes me a barbarian or a dummy; I like Berry's poems because they're simple and they shouldn't lend themselves to pretentious interpretations.

Can I just say, I absolutely adore Wendell Berry's poems!?It is fair that I do not like all his poems, but I enjoy over two-thirds of the collection. I didn't think I could identify so much with a man's words. It is as if he has spoken my heart on so many subject matters. Reading his poems is like reading a series of short stories. I would construct mental images after mental images based on his description, whether he is describing simple objects or telling stories of someone's life. Wendell

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.