Free Doña Bárbara Download Books Online

Share:
Free Doña Bárbara  Download Books Online
Doña Bárbara Paperback | Pages: 474 pages
Rating: 3.8 | 3525 Users | 223 Reviews

Mention Out Of Books Doña Bárbara

Title:Doña Bárbara
Author:Rómulo Gallegos
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 474 pages
Published:January 2005 by Cátedra (first published August 11th 1929)
Categories:Fiction. Classics. European Literature. Spanish Literature. Historical. Historical Fiction. Literature. Latin American Literature. Romance. Cultural. Latin American

Rendition Concering Books Doña Bárbara

This review is bilingual. First you can find the English version and at the end of that one, you will find the Spanish version.


This is my favorite Latin American book!!!

Maybe since I am from Costa Rica, I should pick as my favorite Latin American book, something from my own country. This book is by an author from Venezuela. And indeed I like a lot of books written by authors from my country. However, to choose a single book for my "Favorites" virtual shelf, when it's down to pick just one book in Spanish, I have to choose this book Doña Barbara.

Also, it's the only book that I had to read in high school as homework that appears in the "Favorites" virtual shelf that as I commented in other review of books in that shelf, I decided to limit that shelf to only 10 books. To denote how important are really these books to me.

From all the books that I had to read in school and high school, definitely this one is my favorite of those.

This novel tells the story of a woman, a "man-eater" woman, whose name is Barbara and everybody calls her "Doña Barbara", "doña" means like "mrs". But that title here denotes also the respect and fear that everybody, specially the men, have for her. And her first name "Barbara", is a real name used by many women but in Spanish also means "wild" and this is crutial in the story, since she lives in the deep of the jungle around the Arauca River. She is a landlady, powerful, rich and ruthless. When she was young, she was raped by pirates, also losing her first love, so she became bitter and hating to all men.

The other main character in this story is "Santos Luzardo" whose name is another word game, like with Doña Barbara, only a little more tricky, "Santos" means "saint" and "Luzardo" means like "light", and so he is like the saint light of civilization and progress that it's entering to the wilderness of the jungle.

The shock when those powerful characters meet is the very heart of the story. And don't worry if you think that I spoiled you the book, all that it's only the introduction of the main characters. The story is just beginning. Since this a really popular novel from Latin America, I am sure that it's available in English too, but I felt important to explain you the names of the main characters since its symbolic importance can be lost in translation.


--0--


¡¡¡Este es mi libro Latinoamericano favorito!!!

Puede ser dado que soy de Costa Rica, que yo debería haber elegido como mi libro Latinoamericano favorito, alguno de mi propio país. Este libro es por un autor de Venezuela. Y en efecto, me gustan muchos libros escritos por autores de mi país. Sin embargo, para elegir un solo libro para mi estante virtual de "Favoritos", cuando se trata de elegir solo uno en Español. Yo tengo que elegir este libro Doña Barbara.

También, es el único libro que tuve que leer en el colegio como tarea que aparece en mi estante virtual de "Favoritos" que como ya comenté en otras críticas de libros de ese estante, yo decidí limitar ese estante a solo 10 libros. Para denotar cuan importantes son realmente esos libros para mí.

De todos los libros que tuve que leer en la escuela y el colegio, definitivamente este es mi favorito.

Esta novela cuenta la historia de una mujer, una mujer "come-hombres", cuyo nombre es Bárbara y todos le llaman "Doña Bárbara", "doña" es como señora. Pero este título aquí denota también el respeto y miedo que todos, especialmente los hombres, tienen por ella. Y su primer nombre "Bárbara", es un verdadero nombre usado por muchas mujeres pero en Español también significa "salvaje" y esto es crucial en la historia, dado que ella vive en lo profundo de la jungla alrededor del Río del Arauca. Ella es una terrateniente, poderosa, rica y despiadada. Cuando ella era joven, fué violada por piratas, también perdiendo a su primer amor, así que ella se amargó odiando a todos los hombres.

El otro personaje principal en esta historia es "Santos Luzardo" cuyo nombre es otro juego de palabras, como con Doña Bárbara, solo que un poco más triquiñuelo, "Santos" significa "santo" y "Luzardo" significa algo como "luz", y así el es como la santa luz de la civilización y el progreso que entra en la barbarie de la jungla.

El impacto cuando estos poderosos personajes se encuentran es el corazón mismo de la historia. Y no se preocupen si creen que les arruiné el libro. Todo esto es solo la introducción de los personajes principales. La historia está apenas comenzando. Dado que esta es una novel realmente popular en Latin America, estoy seguro que deben haber versiones en Inglés también, pero siento importante explicarles los nombres de los personajes principales cuya importancia simbólica puede perderse en la traducción.







Be Specific About Books During Doña Bárbara

Original Title: Doña Bárbara
ISBN: 8437615399 (ISBN13: 9788437615394)
Edition Language: Spanish

Rating Out Of Books Doña Bárbara
Ratings: 3.8 From 3525 Users | 223 Reviews

Write-Up Out Of Books Doña Bárbara
A novel about the hard and wild life in the farms of Venezuela in the early 1900's when corruption ran rampantly and $ and guns were the law. I read it in Spanish and, although Spanish is my first language, it was difficult to understand due to the great amount of idiomatic expressions pertaining only to the people of Venezuela and specifically to the people from the farms.

This was good; I would probably recommend to those interested in LatAm fiction with some caveats.The good:- all the descriptions of the llanos were great. I fucking love the llanos! In that respect I am def this book's target audience.- the melodrama was very entertaining- lots of dialogue- all the description of daily life and seasonal activities reminded me of "Little House on the Prarie."- I also really liked all the parts about llano customs and superstitions. I fucking love the llanos!! Did

This year for one of my personal reading challenges I'm trying something I'm calling's "The Great American-Read-Through". For it I'm trying to read (or reread as the case may be) through as much of The Great American Read list as I can. I'm doing this because I want to understand why the books on the list are so beloved, even the ones I personally dislike (50 shades, Flowers in the Attic, Twilight, Left Behind, etc.) I'm starting at #100 and working backwards to #1. By the end of this year I'd

it was kind of weird the end of the story, but in the end it is real, the descriptions and the resignation is something real that happens to us everyday, just like the endless land of this story.

(view spoiler)[People believe Doña Barbara is a witch, a sorceress. She tends to believe it herself, as the universe reorders her world to suit her wishes. The neighbors' land, their livestock, their men--all become hers. The surviving heir of one of the dispossessed neighbors, Santos Luzardo, comes home from Caracas, determined to repossess his birthright; and Doña Barbara determines to possess him. (hide spoiler)]Read for a couple of 2019 reading challenges, this book was on the 2018 Great



I suspect many (most?) folks who read this book or added it to their To Read shelf in late 2018 did so because of PBS's show The Great American Read. I had to read the English translation by Chicago University Press, from 1931. As such, much of the colloquial speech was lost on me. Then again, some sections were nicely lyrical, which i assume came thru nicely from the original Spanish. Overall, a somewhat unnerving experience.The novel could also be titled Santos Luzardo. He's really the main

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.