Free Download Books Closer

Share:
Free Download Books Closer
Closer Paperback | Pages: 120 pages
Rating: 3.99 | 4237 Users | 129 Reviews

Present About Books Closer

Title:Closer
Author:Patrick Marber
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 120 pages
Published:December 1st 1999 by Grove Press (first published November 3rd 1997)
Categories:Plays. Drama. Theatre

Narrative To Books Closer

In Closer, Patrick Marber has created a brilliant exploration into the brutal anatomy of modern romance, where a quartet of strangers meet, fall in love, and become caught up in a web of sexual desire and betrayal. Closer is being hailed as one of the best new plays of the nineties, and as the London Observer noted, it "has wired itself into the cultural vocabulary in a way that few plays have ever done."

Identify Books Supposing Closer

Original Title: Closer
ISBN: 0802136451 (ISBN13: 9780802136459)
Edition Language: English
Setting: London, England(United Kingdom)
Literary Awards: Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Play (1997), Evening Standard Award for Best Comedy (1997)

Rating About Books Closer
Ratings: 3.99 From 4237 Users | 129 Reviews

Article About Books Closer
Read Beth's review which expresses my opinion more eloquently than I could. TLDR; feels very dated. What may have seemed "edgy" and "brutal" on its release now seems juvenile and superficial. There's little depth and too much pretension. Watching 4 narcissistic characters be horrible to each other may invoke some higher meaning for others, but for me, I can watch the world news to similar effect. I want more. I expect more, Marber.

Marber writes dialogue that is quirky and quoteworthy, but the criticism of this play is that it is too clinical and empty of emotion. It's history on the stage contradicts this sharply. Theatre-goers have at times broken down in tears from the play's portrayal of infidelities. The actors taking part have at times found it to be even a cathartic experience.In performance, the settings are evoked rather than shown, to balance the verbal excess. Considering the sparse appearance of the dialogue,

Closer talks a lot, but it doesn't actually say anything.Marber is good at acting like he does. The characters are witty, the situations they get themselves into are mind-bending in an interesting way, and the dialogue is well-written, staccato and blunt in a way that must have felt challenging and 'edgy' in the 1990s. Here, to me, it just felt like the eleven-year-old who thinks he's hard core because he uses the F-word.The characters are insufferable. But they're supposed to be insufferable.

Very much a play of its time (especially the rise of the In-Yer-Face theatrical movement of the 90s) but still fresh and interesting today. Veering between witty and heartbreaking, Closer analyses the human relationships and how something so intimate and beautiful as sex and love can ultimately be as destructive and painful as hate. I'm amazed by Marber's ability to create such well rounded and ultimately sympathetic characters who are so loathsome, selfish and frequently vulgar (the profanities

Heart wrenching, upsetting but amazing.

Classy, clear, crispy, cushioned, crumpled, crusty, considerate.

I don't know what's up with modern British drama but I felt so uncomfortable reading it. Maybe it was the author's purpose? I'm not really sure but I hated every single character. Also it was very repetitive.

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.