Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2) 
This is a book of two halves. The first starts just after Here be Dragons finished, so we are reacquainted with Llewelyn the Great, his warring sons, his daughter and his awful daughter-in-law, as well as meeting his adorable little grandson Llelo. This first half tells the tale of the bitter ongoing struggle for control of Wales between Lleweylns sons (and later his grandsons), and the marriages of his daughter. We also meet his late wifes siblings, Henry III of England and Eleanor (Nell), who
One of the first Penman novel's I read. Superb!! This is the story of the Baron's Revolt and the creation of the first real Parliament. Ms. Penman paints both de Montfort and Prince Edward vividly.

I'll admit from the start that I read Falls the Shadow soon after The Sunne in Splendour; this book, while not bad, suffered by comparison. Besides, I can't read too much of one author too quickly without becoming annoyed by her quirks. That said, Falls the Shadow was something of a disappointment. First the good. As always with Penman's books, I learned a lot. I knew little about the time period and this book brought it to life. The major players are excellently drawn: Henry III, Simon de
Sharon Penman is a fantastic novelist and a first rate historian. After you read her books you feel as if you have had an entire upper level university course in English history. I knew little about the Second Baron's Revolt and the Kingdom of Wales but now I do! Terrific reading for anyone interested in medieval historical fiction!
I've enjoyed some of her previous books but I'm beginning to find them a bit samey samey. This one about Simon De Montfort was readable but just like her others. Simon was brutally honest with those around him even the king. He married the kings sister without consent and later was so dismayed by Henry's ineffectual rule he challenged him for the throne. Readable but average.
This series is fantastic. Less Welsh characters here although they still play a good-sized role. This story is about Simon de Montfort who led the barons revolt against Henry III and ruled England for less than a year. He is fascinating and played a major role in the constitutional development of England, championing limited monarchy and parliamentary rule.
Sharon Kay Penman
Paperback | Pages: 580 pages Rating: 4.39 | 8846 Users | 398 Reviews

Point Based On Books Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2)
| Title | : | Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2) |
| Author | : | Sharon Kay Penman |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | 14th |
| Pages | : | Pages: 580 pages |
| Published | : | April 8th 1989 by Ballantine Books (first published April 1st 1988) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Medieval. European Literature. British Literature |
Ilustration Conducive To Books Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2)
This is Simon de Montfort's story—and the story of King Henry III, as weak and changeable as Montfort was brash and unbending. It is a saga of two opposing wills that would later clash in a storm of violence and betrayal, a story straight from the pages of history that brings the world of the thirteenth century completely, provocatively, and magnificently alive. Above all, this is a story of conflict and treachery, of human frailty and broken legends, a tale of pageantry and grandeur that is as unforgettable as it is real....Details Books In Pursuance Of Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2)
| Original Title: | Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes, #2) |
| ISBN: | 0345360338 (ISBN13: 9780345360335) |
| Edition Language: | English URL http://www.sharonkaypenman.com |
| Series: | Welsh Princes #2 |
| Characters: | Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, Henry III of England, Llywelyn the Last, Davydd ap Gruffydd, Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, Nell de Montfort |
| Setting: | Leicester, England,1239(United Kingdom) North Wales(United Kingdom) |
Rating Based On Books Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2)
Ratings: 4.39 From 8846 Users | 398 ReviewsWrite Up Based On Books Falls the Shadow (Welsh Princes #2)
One thing I've been wondering since I started on the latter part of this book is the question of what exactly makes a book of historical fiction good. I am far too aware that, though I have enjoyed most of the books I've read in the genre, they are also few and far between, and so I find myself unable to judge by what could be considered their standard.Instead, I find myself approaching the issue from a different angle. I find myself wondering whether this book would have held any appealThis is a book of two halves. The first starts just after Here be Dragons finished, so we are reacquainted with Llewelyn the Great, his warring sons, his daughter and his awful daughter-in-law, as well as meeting his adorable little grandson Llelo. This first half tells the tale of the bitter ongoing struggle for control of Wales between Lleweylns sons (and later his grandsons), and the marriages of his daughter. We also meet his late wifes siblings, Henry III of England and Eleanor (Nell), who
One of the first Penman novel's I read. Superb!! This is the story of the Baron's Revolt and the creation of the first real Parliament. Ms. Penman paints both de Montfort and Prince Edward vividly.

I'll admit from the start that I read Falls the Shadow soon after The Sunne in Splendour; this book, while not bad, suffered by comparison. Besides, I can't read too much of one author too quickly without becoming annoyed by her quirks. That said, Falls the Shadow was something of a disappointment. First the good. As always with Penman's books, I learned a lot. I knew little about the time period and this book brought it to life. The major players are excellently drawn: Henry III, Simon de
Sharon Penman is a fantastic novelist and a first rate historian. After you read her books you feel as if you have had an entire upper level university course in English history. I knew little about the Second Baron's Revolt and the Kingdom of Wales but now I do! Terrific reading for anyone interested in medieval historical fiction!
I've enjoyed some of her previous books but I'm beginning to find them a bit samey samey. This one about Simon De Montfort was readable but just like her others. Simon was brutally honest with those around him even the king. He married the kings sister without consent and later was so dismayed by Henry's ineffectual rule he challenged him for the throne. Readable but average.
This series is fantastic. Less Welsh characters here although they still play a good-sized role. This story is about Simon de Montfort who led the barons revolt against Henry III and ruled England for less than a year. He is fascinating and played a major role in the constitutional development of England, championing limited monarchy and parliamentary rule.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.