Be Specific About Regarding Books The Subterraneans (Duluoz Legend)
| Title | : | The Subterraneans (Duluoz Legend) |
| Author | : | Jack Kerouac |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 128 pages |
| Published | : | 1994 by Grove Weidenfeld (first published 1958) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Classics. Literature. Novels. American. 20th Century. The United States Of America |

Jack Kerouac
Paperback | Pages: 128 pages Rating: 3.68 | 13108 Users | 512 Reviews
Explanation In Favor Of Books The Subterraneans (Duluoz Legend)
Jack Kerouac, one of the great voices of the Beat generation and author of the classic On the Road, here continues his peregrinations in postwar, underground San Francisco. "The subterraneans" come alive at night, travel along dark alleyways, and live in a world filled with paint, poetry, music, smoke, and sex. Simmering in the center of it all is the brief affair between Leo Percepied, a writer, and Mardou Fox, a black woman ten years younger. Just at the moment when she is coolly leaving him, Leo realizes his passion for passion, his inability to function without it, and the puzzling futility of seeking redemption and fulfillment through writing.Describe Books Concering The Subterraneans (Duluoz Legend)
| Original Title: | The Subterraneans |
| ISBN: | 0802131867 (ISBN13: 9780802131867) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Duluoz Legend |
| Characters: | Leo Percepied, Julian Alexander, Frank Carmody, Sam Vedder |
| Setting: | San Francisco, California(United States) |
Rating Regarding Books The Subterraneans (Duluoz Legend)
Ratings: 3.68 From 13108 Users | 512 ReviewsJudgment Regarding Books The Subterraneans (Duluoz Legend)
While at a used bookstore, I overheard two clerks in another aisle trying to decide where to shelve this book. They didn't mention the author or the name of the book, but location questions such as 'philosophy?' and 'biography?' and 'just plain fiction?' encouraged me to find their aisle and say, simply, "I'll take it." (Paperbacks were on sale that day for a quarter.) At that time, I had just finished Burrough's "Junky" and had just started on Ginsberg's poetry. Obviously, the universeAhh, The beat generation. What an Isle of Misfit Toys. I think from most of the books I have read, the ones from the beat generation are the most interesting. I haven't secured a copy of On the Road But when I do I will fully judge Jack Kerouac. Moving on to this book. I was rather interested in the main character at the beginning of the book. He is a Vagabond/Sailor/Hippie in the San Francisco area. He has a group of friends that pretty much do nothing more then sit around and drink and smoke
Kerouac's kind of a dick in this one, whining and chasing after this black girl Mardou all through the book. Once she caves in to his non-existent charms he dumps her like he's Tommy Lee or something. When he's not crying for her to take him back he's busy fetishizing her blackness like she's a pickaninny doll and then drunkenly makes in-crowd jokes to his pals about Buddha and Boddhisatva. What a shithead.

A profoundly sad novel. I fall in and out of love with Kerouac's prose, but his story rips your heart out. It was recommended to me by a colleague who told me that this book is about "people who make decisions by not making any choices."
I'm just now starting to become familiar with the Beat generation. I thought Junky, by William Burroughs, was great, and Bukowski's first three novels were pretty good, so I wanted to check out something by the most popular Beat author. I see a few copies of On the Road in just about every used bookstore I visit, but I wanted to read something a little shorter, just to see if I liked Kerouac or not. That's why I chose The Subterraneans. The first thing I noticed was that the he hardly ever uses
In my spin through Kerouac's books, my friend said after reading On The Road and The Dharma Bums that my next task should be The Subterraneans.Apparently, he wrote this 110-page book in only three days. While the bulk of On The Road was written in this way, making it an American classic, I have to say that for this book, it didn't work as well.Here, Kerouac shows a more poetic than prosaic style. The sentences seem more like lyrics than in the other two books. Yet here that seemed to take away
This is the third book by Kerouac I have read, and without fail, they all have an unusual raw emotional gravity about them. This book is short burst of linguistic invention--supposedly written in only three days, and it reads as such. It weighs in at a little over 100 pages, but is full of love, disgust, drunkenness, excitment, and the peculiar next-day regret hangover. It does not match either On the Road or The Town and the City in terms of overall narrative power, but is a strangely


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.