Umbrella Summer 
You know how you get tired of reading the same thing over and over again? I was in that kind of rut. It's not any of the books were really bad, but I wanted something different. I wanted to feel like what it was to be a kid again. You know how you think you won't ever forget? Well inevitably you do forget some things. Thank goodness we have authors who can remember enough so young readers will want to read. If it weren't for authors who wrote for kids I know I probably wouldn't have become a

This one came highly recommended by my 9 year-old daughter. I thought the cover was cute and the title intriguing. I wasn't expecting anything nearly as sweet, insightful and well-written. Absolutely beautiful story of overcoming loss and grief told through a bright, funny 10 year-old girl. Icing on the cake was the references to my all time favorite children's book "Charlotte's Web". This is one is so full of gems of wisdom, that I'm likely to reread it from time to time. Yay, OBOB (Oregon
I just got done reading Umbrella Summer, again this is a book that I would not normally choose, however I really enjoyed it once it got going. This is a story told from a perspective of a young girl who had recently lost her older brother unexpectedly. She is dealing with this grief by being overly carful and constantly thinking that she has an illness. She even went so far as to steal the neighbors book, The Everyday Guide to Preventing Illness, so that she could "check" her symptoms to see if
My heart is overflowing with emotion. My mind is spinning with how I can make this book a part of my classroom and my kids' lives. Annie is one of the most lovable characters. This book will evoke profound emotional responses from even the most stoic reader. I'm in love.
It actually takes a lot for a book to make me cry. This book said, "Challenge accepted." It won, but I did too. It was lovely exploration of grief with humor, various teas, and wonderful characters. Annie has a great voice and I'm glad that I met her.
Lisa Graff
Hardcover | Pages: 240 pages Rating: 4.05 | 6286 Users | 620 Reviews

Details About Books Umbrella Summer
| Title | : | Umbrella Summer |
| Author | : | Lisa Graff |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 240 pages |
| Published | : | January 25th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 2nd 2000) |
| Categories | : | Realistic Fiction. Childrens. Middle Grade. Fiction. Young Adult. Death. Juvenile |
Ilustration Supposing Books Umbrella Summer
Annie Richards knows there are a million things to look out for -- bicycle accidents, food poisoning, chicken pox, smallpox, typhoid fever, runaway zoo animals, and poison oak. That's why being careful is so important, even if it does mean giving up some of her favorite things, like bike races with her best friend, Rebecca, and hot dogs on the Fourth of July. Everyone keeps telling Annie not to worry so much, that she's just fine. But they thought her brother, Jared, was just fine too, and Jared died.Mention Books As Umbrella Summer
| Original Title: | Umbrella Summer |
| ISBN: | 0061431885 (ISBN13: 9780061431883) |
| Literary Awards: | Iowa Children's Choice Award Nominee (2013) |
Rating About Books Umbrella Summer
Ratings: 4.05 From 6286 Users | 620 ReviewsDiscuss About Books Umbrella Summer
Using the words careful and worry would be an understatement for describing main character, Annie Richards.Her brother died of something unexpected, and ever since, she has to be extra careful, and takes life too seriously, like a grown up! She is missing out on her childhood.Thankfully, Mrs. Harper, an elderly lady moved in across the street to the "haunted house" and becomes friends with Annie, and helps her see life in a new way. Because of Mrs. Harper, Annie's umbrella starts to close, andYou know how you get tired of reading the same thing over and over again? I was in that kind of rut. It's not any of the books were really bad, but I wanted something different. I wanted to feel like what it was to be a kid again. You know how you think you won't ever forget? Well inevitably you do forget some things. Thank goodness we have authors who can remember enough so young readers will want to read. If it weren't for authors who wrote for kids I know I probably wouldn't have become a

This one came highly recommended by my 9 year-old daughter. I thought the cover was cute and the title intriguing. I wasn't expecting anything nearly as sweet, insightful and well-written. Absolutely beautiful story of overcoming loss and grief told through a bright, funny 10 year-old girl. Icing on the cake was the references to my all time favorite children's book "Charlotte's Web". This is one is so full of gems of wisdom, that I'm likely to reread it from time to time. Yay, OBOB (Oregon
I just got done reading Umbrella Summer, again this is a book that I would not normally choose, however I really enjoyed it once it got going. This is a story told from a perspective of a young girl who had recently lost her older brother unexpectedly. She is dealing with this grief by being overly carful and constantly thinking that she has an illness. She even went so far as to steal the neighbors book, The Everyday Guide to Preventing Illness, so that she could "check" her symptoms to see if
My heart is overflowing with emotion. My mind is spinning with how I can make this book a part of my classroom and my kids' lives. Annie is one of the most lovable characters. This book will evoke profound emotional responses from even the most stoic reader. I'm in love.
It actually takes a lot for a book to make me cry. This book said, "Challenge accepted." It won, but I did too. It was lovely exploration of grief with humor, various teas, and wonderful characters. Annie has a great voice and I'm glad that I met her.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.