List Books Supposing You Remind Me of Me
| Original Title: | You Remind Me of Me |
| ISBN: | 0345441419 (ISBN13: 9780345441416) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Jonah |
Dan Chaon
Hardcover | Pages: 356 pages Rating: 3.62 | 3835 Users | 500 Reviews

Itemize Epithetical Books You Remind Me of Me
| Title | : | You Remind Me of Me |
| Author | : | Dan Chaon |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 356 pages |
| Published | : | May 25th 2004 by Ballantine Books |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Novels. Short Stories. Contemporary. Parenting. Adoption |
Relation In Favor Of Books You Remind Me of Me
With his critically acclaimed "Among the Missing" and "Fitting Ends," award-winning author Dan Chaon proved himself a master of the short story form. He is a writer, observes the "Chicago Tribune," who can "convincingly squeeze whole lives into a mere twenty pages or so." Now Chaon marshals his notable talents in his much-anticipated debut novel."You Remind Me of Me" begins with a series of separate incidents: In 1977, a little boy is savagely attacked by his mother's pet Doberman; in 1997 another little boy disappears from his grandmother's backyard on a sunny summer morning; in 1966, a pregnant teenager admits herself to a maternity home, with the intention of giving her child up for adoption; in 1991, a young man drifts toward a career as a drug dealer, even as he hopes for something better. With penetrating insight and a deep devotion to his characters, Dan Chaon" "explores the secret connections that irrevocably link them. In the process he examines questions of identity, fate, and circumstance: Why do we become the people that we become? How do we end up stuck in lives that we never wanted? And can we change the course of what seems inevitable?
In language that is both unflinching and exquisite, Chaon moves deftly between the past and the present in the small-town prairie Midwest and shows us the extraordinary lives of "ordinary" people.
Rating Epithetical Books You Remind Me of Me
Ratings: 3.62 From 3835 Users | 500 ReviewsColumn Epithetical Books You Remind Me of Me
No one writes about the lonely and broken hearted better than Chaon. This novel is no exception. Brutal and sad, but filled with the human spirit.I was disappointed with this book, possibly because I had such high expectations. I love the idea of seemingly random strangers being connected together through space and time. I liked the non-linear manner in which the story was told. However, I found myself disliking all of the characters. Their individual situations seemed very real and the comparison of two brothers' backgrounds and the way they turn out was yet another interesting technique. It's also very clear how they turned into their
My picky husband really enjoyed it. He said it would be a good book club read- so I read it too. This was an interesting read. The book is written from the perspective of 3 people and over 3 different time periods. At first I wished I had been writing out my own timeline to reference when the story hopped along. The book has 2 protagonists who make poor choices. There were sections of the book where I was not rooting for anyone and I felt that loss. At times I wondered, "So why should I care

Wow, what a great book! My thanks to Doreen for lending it to me.For me, the book got off to a slow start, partly bacause I was travelling while reading it (and couldn't read it for any length of time)and partly becuase of the nature of the book (it moves between characters and times). There was - to begin with - no obvious connection between the characters. However, I was patient as I knew they would all come together eventually, and they did. Once they did, I couldn't put the book down!This
I loved Dan Chaons novel, Await Your Reply. I enjoyed how the interconnected stories all came together to make sense in the end. This novel has a similar format. But the basic premise of this book (at least in my view) is that, as far as the path our life is headed down, the die has been cast from birth and no outcome can be changed. Thats a disturbing proposal for me to contemplate, even if its likely to be true. This is a well written, compelling storymore unsettling than sad for memaybe
When I grow up one day as a writer, I want my writing to be like Dan Chaon's. This is his debut novel after many years of writing short stories. The craft of short story writing comes through in every sentence of this novel - rich, evocative imagery punches through some of the most economic sentences and paragraphs; characters are compelling, dynamic and fully explored; drama hits forcefully and emotionally.I took plenty of time to read this book, treating it as if it were the literary
"How can you be alive when every choice you make breaks the world into a thousand filaments, each careless step branching into long tributaries of alternate lives, shuddering outward and outward like sheet lightning."-You Remind Me of MeI think Await Your Reply is better, but I really enjoyed this story also. Dan Chaon writes in a way that gives me so much to think about.I love the way the story opens with Jonah playing in the bathtub with the dog named Elizabeth:(view spoiler)[ The first bite


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.