Point Books Supposing Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue
| Original Title: | Justine, ou Les Malheurs de la vertu |
| ISBN: | 950877035X (ISBN13: 9789508770356) |
| Edition Language: | Spanish |
| Setting: | France |
Marquis de Sade
Paperback | Pages: 264 pages Rating: 3.41 | 11425 Users | 843 Reviews

Describe Based On Books Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue
| Title | : | Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue |
| Author | : | Marquis de Sade |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 264 pages |
| Published | : | April 28th 2003 by AC (first published 1787) |
| Categories | : | Classics. Fiction. Adult Fiction. Erotica. Cultural. France. Philosophy. European Literature. French Literature |
Interpretation Conducive To Books Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue
Justine was the Marquis de Sade's first novella, written in 1787, whilst imprisoned for two weeks in the Bastille. Although published anonymously, de Sade was eventually indicted for blasphemy and obscenity (without trial) for the authorship of Justine at the behest of Napoleon Bonaparte.Who suffers in the pursuit of desire?
The Countess de Lorsange reveals her history, in a tavern, to a young woman named Therese; where a young girl and her sister fight a battle of morality. Set in a period before the French Revolution, Justine shows the battle of virtue versus vice, where earning your keep takes on fresh connotations, and a titled lady holds a lifetime of illicit secrets.
Rating Based On Books Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue
Ratings: 3.41 From 11425 Users | 843 ReviewsCommentary Based On Books Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue
First impressions:Marquis de Sade...you are one crazy m*****f*****. So I had learned about Marquis de Sade, or at least first heard of him after watching the movie Quills and I immediately became really interested. Yes, his works are incredibly graphic and really go off the deep end, but he was added to my bucket list of authors I wanted to read just for the sake of reading.After doing a little research I chose Justine, a classic, and one of his more famous stories to give a try at but it was aThis book is absolutely appalling. One expects a novel written on the subject of libertinism. It is all the worse: it is only women sequestered, subjected, under duress and threats, to the worst perversities of men. One is far beyond what one can imagine, since imposed sex is added violence, blood, scatology, death..Those who admire Sade in the name of sexual liberation are all wrong: there is no liberation in Sade, but only coercion. Only perverse, violent men with deadly, unscrupulous
Sooo when I first read this I thought it was alright, kind of repetitive and pointless. BUT after rereading and analyzing it from a critical perspective for school, I can definitely say that its kind of subtly brilliant, something I think people definitely miss when they read it the first time around. If you read this, be sure you have lots of literary criticism to help you pick out the finer details. (Carter, Dworkin, etc. are quite good).

It's been over a decade since I read this book, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. I was expecting it to be a fierce text railing against morality, instead it was monotonous boring book in which the protagonist (a very naive girl) gets raped and treated like shit by every group she encounters. Boring, repetative, and unchallenging. It does critize religious individuals/groups though, but not in a powerful well-written way that would threaten to kill god in anyones head.Not worth the
Set in the 18th Century, this book was very controversial for its time and now I understand why.But, nowadays, I think that it is difficult to shock anyone due to the information we can get.So, my opinion of this book is that it is not a great story, but rather a philosophical quest to find what is good and evil and, what kind of gains can be obtained by choosing one of them. While Justine is good in her heart she is treated under all the evils in the world, she suffers alot but she remains true
Brilliant
I don't even know how to rate or review this. Yes, I was well aware of de Sade's reputation before I started reading this and I knew what the subject matter would be like. If you don't know well, look it up (rape, torture, scat, vivisection, and worse). Despite the disturbing subject matter (and Justine isn't even considered one of his most depraved works - I believe that title belongs to 120 Days of Sodom), this book has stood the test of time and is considered by some, a classic. I don't


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.