List Books Concering The Complete Poems
| Original Title: | The Complete Poems: Anne Sexton |
| ISBN: | 0395957761 (ISBN13: 9780395957769) |
| Edition Language: | English |

Anne Sexton
Paperback | Pages: 656 pages Rating: 4.28 | 14123 Users | 351 Reviews
Specify Containing Books The Complete Poems
| Title | : | The Complete Poems |
| Author | : | Anne Sexton |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 656 pages |
| Published | : | April 28th 1999 by Mariner Books (first published September 30th 1981) |
| Categories | : | Poetry. Classics |
Narrative In Favor Of Books The Complete Poems
From the self-conscious and contemplative poems of To Bedlam and Part Way Back to the strange and surreal verse of The Awful Rowing Toward God, Anne Sexton's work encompasses a wide range of styles: few other American poets have written so many kinds of poems, on such different subjects, while successfully capturing the attention of the public. Often interested in personal relationships, as well as the bond between poet and audience, Sexton's poems consistently dazzle readers with inventive images, swift pacing, and simple but powerful language. So, too, does her work typically take on taboo topics and experiences belonging to women. But her specific subject matter shifts from collection to collection. All My Pretty Ones deals with the death of parents and entering middle age; Love Poems domestic misery and unsustainable affairs; Transformations fairytales and patriarchal oppression; The Death Notebooks celebrity and suicide. Different as the collections might be from each other, though, there is a distinct stylistic progression amongst them, making The Complete Poems best read in order.Rating Containing Books The Complete Poems
Ratings: 4.28 From 14123 Users | 351 ReviewsComment On Containing Books The Complete Poems
Really enjoyed reading her collection of poems. It was interesting to get a glimpse into her tortured self. Besides Transformations, which is one of my favorite collections, I really like "All My Pretty Ones" (the poem) and "The Starry Night," which is a tribute to Van Gogh's painting but light-heartedly depressing it almost makes you chuckle at the same time. The juxtaposition between a painting that is serene and beautiful and her depression is so....beautiful.The Complete Poems of Anne Sexton is now available in ebook from Open Road Integrated Media. The book includes the complete poems and posthumously published work. It is a substantial volume of work. Sexton plumbed her own life as a woman, mother, daughter, wife and lover, addressed her struggle with depression, institutionalization, and suicide attempts. The Publisher's Note explains how the poems were adapted to the ebook form. And How It Was: Maxine Kumin on Anne Sexton, a revealing essay
I have not read much poetry in the 15 years I have been alive. I have read the poems that are required, expected, to be read in school, but that is pretty much where it ends.There are certain poets whose names I have seen and automatically wanted to read. Anne Sexton is one of them. Maybe it was the sex in her last name that grabbed my attention. I am a teenage boy and all.Maybe it's the picture of her on the cover of her Collected Poems, though I bought her Selected Poems first. I gave that

I've been reading Anne Sexton's poems for months now. For those who don't like poetry, her work could change your mind.
To Bedlam and Part Way Back (1960) - 4/5All My Pretty Ones (1962) - 5/5Live or Die (1966) - 4/5Love Poems (1969) - 5/5Transformations (1971) - 3/5The Book of Folly (1972) - 5/5The Death Notebooks (1974) - 5/5The Awful Rowing Toward God (1975) - 5/5POSTHUMOUSLY PUBLISHED WORK - 45 Mercy Street (1976) - 5/5Words for Dr. Y (1978) - 4/5Other Poems (1971-1973) - 5/5Scorpio, Bad Spider, Die (1971) - 5/5Last Poems - 4/5All Anne Sexton's major work in one place, plus previously unreleased material to
I've carried this book around for a long time now and I think I'll continue to do so.
"Wanting to Die"by Anne SextonSince you ask, most days I cannot remember.I walk in my clothing, unmarked by that voyage.Then the almost unnameable lust returns.Even then I have nothing against life. I know well the grass blades you mention,the furniture you have placed under the sun.But suicides have a special language.Like carpenters they want to know which tools.They never ask why build.Twice I have so simply declared myself,have possessed the enemy, eaten the enemy,have taken on his craft,


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.