Declare Books During Innocent Traitor
| Original Title: | Innocent Traitor |
| ISBN: | 0345494857 (ISBN13: 9780345494856) |
| Edition Language: | English URL http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/alison-weir/innocent-traitor.htm |
| Characters: | Anne Boleyn, Guildford Dudley, Lady Jane Grey, Henry VIII of England, Catherine Parr, Elizabeth I of England, Edward VI of England, Mary I of England |
| Setting: | London, England(United Kingdom) Sudeley, England(United Kingdom) Tower of London, London, England(United Kingdom) |

Alison Weir
Hardcover | Pages: 402 pages Rating: 3.96 | 29695 Users | 1781 Reviews
Be Specific About Based On Books Innocent Traitor
| Title | : | Innocent Traitor |
| Author | : | Alison Weir |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 402 pages |
| Published | : | February 27th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. English History. Tudor Period. European Literature. British Literature. Literature. 16th Century. Adult |
Explanation Toward Books Innocent Traitor
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Alison Weir's Mary Boleyn.I am now a condemned traitor . . . I am to die when I have hardly begun to live.
Historical expertise marries page-turning fiction in Alison Weir’s enthralling debut novel, breathing new life into one of the most significant and tumultuous periods of the English monarchy. It is the story of Lady Jane Grey–“the Nine Days’ Queen” –a fifteen-year-old girl who unwittingly finds herself at the center of the religious and civil unrest that nearly toppled the fabled House of Tudor during the sixteenth century.
The child of a scheming father and a ruthless mother, for whom she is merely a pawn in a dynastic game with the highest stakes, Jane Grey was born during the harrowingly turbulent period between Anne Boleyn’s beheading and the demise of Jane’s infamous great-uncle, King Henry VIII. With the premature passing of Jane’ s adolescent cousin, and Henry’s successor, King Edward VI, comes a struggle for supremacy fueled by political machinations and lethal religious fervor.
Unabashedly honest and exceptionally intelligent, Jane possesses a sound strength of character beyond her years that equips her to weather the vicious storm. And though she has no ambitions to rule, preferring to immerse herself in books and religious studies, she is forced to accept the crown, and by so doing sets off a firestorm of intrigue, betrayal, and tragedy.
Alison Weir uses her unmatched skills as a historian to enliven the many dynamic characters of this majestic drama. Along with Lady Jane Grey, Weir vividly renders her devious parents; her much-loved nanny; the benevolent Queen Katherine Parr; Jane’s ambitious cousins; the Catholic “Bloody” Mary, who will stop at nothing to seize the throne; and the Protestant and future queen Elizabeth. Readers venture inside royal drawing rooms and bedchambers to witness the power-grabbing that swirls around Lady Jane Grey from the day of her birth to her unbearably poignant death. Innocent Traitor paints a complete and compelling portrait of this captivating young woman, a faithful servant of God whose short reign and brief life would make her a legend.
Rating Based On Books Innocent Traitor
Ratings: 3.96 From 29695 Users | 1781 ReviewsDiscuss Based On Books Innocent Traitor
Jane Grey is one of the most tragic figures of Tudor England. She was the great-granddaughter of Henry VII (her grandmother was Mary Tudor, Queen of France and sister to Henry VIII) and a first cousin of Edward VI. When Edward died, she was crowned Queen of England, but was deposed after just nine days by Mary I, and executed a few months later. Alison Weir explores Jane's life, from her birth to her early death, in her first work of fiction, Innocent Traitor.The book is not perfectly accurate.*****This is a review for the audio book. This was well-written. I loved how detailed the history was. The author did a lot research and took few liberties with telling the story. I really loved getting to know Lady Jane Grey. This is one of most tragic story I've heard in awhile. However, I would recommend it. I would say this should be read before most of these other books set in the Tudor era, though. This was my first book I've read by Alison Weir, but it definitely won't be my last.
ETA: I later read The Life of Elizabeth I, one of her non-fiction books. I found it much better. I gave it four stars! Amazingly enough it was the non-fiction book that drew me in, where I totally empathized with the characters.*****************************On completion: So what do I like (and not like) about Innocent Traitor? I like that in a relatively short book one gets a quick summary of Tudor history; Henry VIII, his wives and progeny, are quickly summarized so you can understand how Lady

Innocent Traitor is good historical fiction that isn't smutted up. The only real problem is the multiple points of view. It is not there are too many speakers, but that too many speakers sound alike. There does not seem to be that much difference in tone between Katherine Parr and Frances Brandon in tone. This could be explained by the education that woman received, but some difference in tone would be nice. The only voice that really stands out in this regard is the voice of Mrs Ellen, Lady
Its much better if you love history. Even if you dont, the format of the book should compensate for the lack of interest in historical books. This is not historical fiction, though the writer (Alison Weir) has taken the liberty of imagination at certain points, and to good effect.The places where the text adds imaginative adornments are described at the end of the book, so, if you are persnickety about poetic license, you wouldnt be too upset.Personally, interest in the life of Lady Jane Grey
I was excited when I first learned of this book. There is so little known about Jane Grey, so for some reason I was under the impression that this book was the result of years of research. Boy, was I wrong. It doesn't really reveal much more about Jane Grey and her life than what is shown in the movie "Lady Jane" That would be tolerable, but it just isn't written very well. All of the characters have the same voice. Weir's attempt to tell the story from different angles doesn't work. In an
I couldn't put the book down. Alison Weir clearly rather relished being able to speculate what made a person come to the actions and decisions which as a historian she can't do. Nonetheless, she is completely faithful to the history involved. I rather doubt her last view of Jane Grey's horrendous mother who spends the night before Jane's death regretting being a lousy mother. I never got any impression that she subsequently brought up her other two daughters with kindness (both of whom came to


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.