Itemize Books Concering To Live and Drink in L.A. (To Live #1)
| ISBN: | 0615436366 (ISBN13: 9780615436364) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | To Live #1 |
Ben Peller
Paperback | Pages: 352 pages Rating: 3.94 | 444 Users | 220 Reviews
Rendition Toward Books To Live and Drink in L.A. (To Live #1)
If David Sedaris, Chelsea Handler, and Charles Bukowski had ever consummated a threesome, the result would most likely be Shawn Michals, the protagonist of TO LIVE AND DRINK IN L.A. This series of semi-autobiographical stories follows Shawn as he moves from the Midwest to Los Angeles, and deals with topics such as his stubborn refusal to own either a car or a cellphone, his use of pro wrestling to deal with his manic-depressive mother's suicide, finding meaning in menial jobs, and many other adventures. Like Shawn often does, readers of this work may find themselves in uncharted territory, while at the same time discovering how one can learn lessons and experience growth in the most unlikely of places, even in a city many people believe to be shallower than a puddle. If a phone call from a telemarketer can lead to spearheading a march on the Pentagon, as it does for Shawn, anything is possible in the City of Angels. Cheers. "Ben Peller has a fine eye and a wonderful ear, but most of all and best of all, he writes with his heart." - Bob Greene, best-selling author of BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL
Declare Out Of Books To Live and Drink in L.A. (To Live #1)
| Title | : | To Live and Drink in L.A. (To Live #1) |
| Author | : | Ben Peller |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 352 pages |
| Published | : | April 2011 by Algonquin Round Table Publishing |
| Categories | : | Autobiography. Memoir. Young Adult. Coming Of Age. Own. Classics. Short Stories. Nonfiction |
Rating Out Of Books To Live and Drink in L.A. (To Live #1)
Ratings: 3.94 From 444 Users | 220 ReviewsJudgment Out Of Books To Live and Drink in L.A. (To Live #1)
After reading Ben Peller's To Live and Drink In L.A., I had high hopes for this book. And it was even better than I expected. Shawn Michals is like a West Coast cross between Chelsea Handler and Holden Caufield. An amazing book, and judging from the twist thrown it at the end, I expect Shawn's saga will continue. I can't wait!!!BTW, I did see Ben at the L.A. Festival of Books. But he was with a beautiful woman, and I didn't want to take too many liberties. So I gave him a very restrained peck onEnticing stuff. This is a great tale about a pretty damaged young man who comes to, of all places, Los Angeles to try and find himself. Amazingly, the city offers him the promises for growth and healing that he needs. Not to mention Peller writes with humor, looking at the devastation of his past and the uncertainty of his future with a smile. Very inspiring! After finishing it a couple days ago, I read it again right away. It's the kind of book I have a feeling I'll be reading every other month
Freaking amazing, even greater than "To Live and Drink!!!" Keep it going, Peller, or I'll kill you. (J.K.(Maybe))

A remarkable work. After reading "To Live and Drink In L.A.," I couldn't wait to delve into this book. I wasn't disappointed. The protagonist, Shawn Michals, winds his way through the craziness that is romance in Los Angeles. He goes to crazy parties, is betrayed by lovers, and experiences both true love and heartbreak. Throughout, Ben Peller makes himself known as both an author and guide. The ending has a twist that has me anxiously awaiting the next book in what has become a serious and
Another solid tale in the Shawn Michals saga, courtesy of Ben Peller. This book seemed a bit more serious than "To Live and Drink In L.A.," but I was still held fast to not only the humor but the heartache. Especially the chapter of being a "Lovaholic," to which I can certainly relate. Shawn himself seems to be coming a bit more grounded as a character, as Peller seems to be becoming more precise as an author. Had its faults, dragged a bit in places, but there was certainly enough about it that
To be honest, an ex of mine spoke so vehemently against this book that I found his rabid anger ignited in me a desire to read it and see what all the fuss was about. I was pleasantly surprised to find this collection of tales isn't just about "drinking," but more like a boozy "Catcher In the Rye." (Shoot, I just remembered I have to add that book to my "My Books" page). Anyway, I enjoyed this book, I liked the writing, I even liked the bizarre font. Shawn Michals is a protagonist worth


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.