Even Cowgirls Get the Blues 
Follow Sissy's amazing odyssey from Virginia to chic Manhattan to the Dakota Badlands, where FBI agents, cowgirls, and ecstatic whooping cranes explode in a deliciously drawn-out climax...
"This is one of those special novels--a piece of working magic, warm, funny, and san--that you just want to ride off into the sunset with."--Thomas Pynchon
"The best fiction, so far, to come out of the American counterculture."-- "Chicago Tribune Book World"
I read Tom Robbins' EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES as a teenager. I loved every word. It was sexy, funny, and full of glamorous scenery and beautiful writing. But when I read the reviews on Goodreads, I cannot believe there are actually people who find it ugly and offensive. Why? Because it isn't a realistic look at the gay lifestyle as it's "supposed" to be lived? Anyone over 12 who reads the book will know it has NOTHING TO DO with "real" lesbians, any more than STAR WARS is a documentary about
Robbins' paean of cheeky irreverance was published in 1976. There are not so veiled references to Nixon, Gerald Ford, hippy communes, LSD, and the Hare Krishnas. That said, the issues are still familiar: gender inequality, political hypocrisy, repression of non-conformity, to name just a few.Robbins skewers feminity; extols Feminism. His protagonist, Sissy, has one extraordinary aberration. Her thumbs are huge. Mama frets. How will Sissy find a husband with such an abnormality? Sissy adapts. She

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues was an interesting reading experience for me. I was not drawn into the novel for the first 100 pages or so, my feelings on the book were ambivalent, but by the time I finished it I really enjoyed it. Dont get me wrong, the text is not ever really bad, but the vulgarity was more irritating to me than Robbins usually is, and the book does not employ as much unique figurative language as one can expect from Tom Robbins, although there is a ton compared to other writers.
I hated this book. Hated it. HATED IT. I can't say that enough, sometimes it feels really good to hate something that deserves to be hated. I think Tom Robbins is a chump. I think it's pretty funny that he attempted to write a novel intended to be taken as liberating to women, but managed to come up with some of the weakest women characters I have ever read about. I hate his voice, and I hate his snarky little interjections. I felt like this was about listening to Tom Robbins' drone on and on
This is some of the best writing I've read on the sentence/paragraph level. I wasn't particularly concerned with where things were going plotwise at first because it was such a pleasure to read Robbins's prose, but I eventually found myself drawn into the story too. This book is silly, clever, thoughtful, endearing, sweet, dirty, poignant, thought-provoking, funny, pithy, punny and charming, etc. The feminism made me proud to be a woman without turning me against men. Robbins is critical and
Right. I skipped the book and went straight to the movie because of course I wasn't about to waste no time reading another *book* by Mr Robbins but I did need corroboration of my intense dislike of this nut-job and of course the film was very convincing that I need never bother thinking about reading another of Mr Robbins' books. I think I'd rather read all the sequels to Wicked or something from Hermann Hesse than another Robbins book.
Tom Robbins
Paperback | Pages: 366 pages Rating: 3.76 | 48446 Users | 1770 Reviews

Be Specific About Books In Pursuance Of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
| Original Title: | Even Cowgirls Get the Blues |
| ISBN: | 1842430246 (ISBN13: 9781842430248) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Washington State Book Award (1977) |
Interpretation Concering Books Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Starring Sissy Hankshaw--flawlessly beautiful, almost. A small-town girl with big-time dreams and a quirk to match--hitchhiking her way into your heart, your hopes, and your sleeping bags...Featuring Bonanza Jellybean and the smooth-riding cowgirls of Rubber Rose Ranch. Chink, lascivious guru of yams and yang. Julian, Mohawk by birth; asthmatic esthete and husband by disposition. Dr. Robbins, preventive psychiatrist and reality instructor...Follow Sissy's amazing odyssey from Virginia to chic Manhattan to the Dakota Badlands, where FBI agents, cowgirls, and ecstatic whooping cranes explode in a deliciously drawn-out climax...
"This is one of those special novels--a piece of working magic, warm, funny, and san--that you just want to ride off into the sunset with."--Thomas Pynchon
"The best fiction, so far, to come out of the American counterculture."-- "Chicago Tribune Book World"
Mention Of Books Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
| Title | : | Even Cowgirls Get the Blues |
| Author | : | Tom Robbins |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 366 pages |
| Published | : | October 11th 2001 by No Exit Press (first published April 1976) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Humor. Novels. Literature. Contemporary. Magical Realism. Literary Fiction |
Rating Of Books Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Ratings: 3.76 From 48446 Users | 1770 ReviewsWeigh Up Of Books Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
I found the first two thirds of the book to be engaging, after that I felt like I was reading the term paper of an intro to philosophy student.Also, even if the first two thirds were engaging, I was often uncomfortable, and not uncomfortable in that "hey, I'm stretching my thoughts beyond their normal boundaries" kind of uncomfortable, just the regular kind of uncomfortable.Take for example the legend of Sissy's earliest hitchhiking endeavors. Reading about a young girl being molested byI read Tom Robbins' EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES as a teenager. I loved every word. It was sexy, funny, and full of glamorous scenery and beautiful writing. But when I read the reviews on Goodreads, I cannot believe there are actually people who find it ugly and offensive. Why? Because it isn't a realistic look at the gay lifestyle as it's "supposed" to be lived? Anyone over 12 who reads the book will know it has NOTHING TO DO with "real" lesbians, any more than STAR WARS is a documentary about
Robbins' paean of cheeky irreverance was published in 1976. There are not so veiled references to Nixon, Gerald Ford, hippy communes, LSD, and the Hare Krishnas. That said, the issues are still familiar: gender inequality, political hypocrisy, repression of non-conformity, to name just a few.Robbins skewers feminity; extols Feminism. His protagonist, Sissy, has one extraordinary aberration. Her thumbs are huge. Mama frets. How will Sissy find a husband with such an abnormality? Sissy adapts. She

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues was an interesting reading experience for me. I was not drawn into the novel for the first 100 pages or so, my feelings on the book were ambivalent, but by the time I finished it I really enjoyed it. Dont get me wrong, the text is not ever really bad, but the vulgarity was more irritating to me than Robbins usually is, and the book does not employ as much unique figurative language as one can expect from Tom Robbins, although there is a ton compared to other writers.
I hated this book. Hated it. HATED IT. I can't say that enough, sometimes it feels really good to hate something that deserves to be hated. I think Tom Robbins is a chump. I think it's pretty funny that he attempted to write a novel intended to be taken as liberating to women, but managed to come up with some of the weakest women characters I have ever read about. I hate his voice, and I hate his snarky little interjections. I felt like this was about listening to Tom Robbins' drone on and on
This is some of the best writing I've read on the sentence/paragraph level. I wasn't particularly concerned with where things were going plotwise at first because it was such a pleasure to read Robbins's prose, but I eventually found myself drawn into the story too. This book is silly, clever, thoughtful, endearing, sweet, dirty, poignant, thought-provoking, funny, pithy, punny and charming, etc. The feminism made me proud to be a woman without turning me against men. Robbins is critical and
Right. I skipped the book and went straight to the movie because of course I wasn't about to waste no time reading another *book* by Mr Robbins but I did need corroboration of my intense dislike of this nut-job and of course the film was very convincing that I need never bother thinking about reading another of Mr Robbins' books. I think I'd rather read all the sequels to Wicked or something from Hermann Hesse than another Robbins book.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.