Identify Books To Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
| Original Title: | Shanghai Girls |
| ISBN: | 1400067111 (ISBN13: 9781400067114) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Shanghai Girls #1 |
| Characters: | Pearl Chin, May Chin, Sam Louie |
| Setting: | Shanghai(China) Los Angeles, California(United States) |
| Literary Awards: | Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Fiction (2009), Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature for Adult Fiction Honor (2009) |

Lisa See
Hardcover | Pages: 309 pages Rating: 3.9 | 132844 Users | 9493 Reviews
Specify Appertaining To Books Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
| Title | : | Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1) |
| Author | : | Lisa See |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 309 pages |
| Published | : | May 26th 2009 by Random House |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Cultural. China. Asia. Literature. Asian Literature. Adult Fiction |
Relation Supposing Books Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
Pearl and May are sisters, living carefree lives in Shanghai, the Paris of Asia. But when Japanese bombs fall on their beloved city, they set out on the journey of a lifetime, one that will take them through the Chinese countryside, in and out of the clutch of brutal soldiers, and across the Pacific to the shores of America.In 1937, Shanghai is the Paris of Asia, a city of great wealth and glamour, the home of millionaires and beggars, gangsters and gamblers, patriots and revolutionaries, artists and warlords. Thanks to the financial security and material comforts provided by their father’s prosperous rickshaw business, twenty-one-year-old Pearl Chin and her younger sister, May, are having the time of their lives. Though both sisters wave off authority and tradition, they couldn’t be more different: Pearl is a Dragon sign, strong and stubborn, while May is a true Sheep, adorable and placid. Both are beautiful, modern, and carefree . . . until the day their father tells them that he has gambled away their wealth and that in order to repay his debts he must sell the girls as wives to suitors who have traveled from California to find Chinese brides.
As Japanese bombs fall on their beloved city, Pearl and May set out on the journey of a lifetime, one that will take them through the Chinese countryside, in and out of the clutch of brutal soldiers, and across the Pacific to the shores of America. In Los Angeles they begin a fresh chapter, trying to find love with the strangers they have married, brushing against the seduction of Hollywood, and striving to embrace American life even as they fight against discrimination, brave Communist witch hunts, and find themselves hemmed in by Chinatown’s old ways and rules.
Rating Appertaining To Books Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
Ratings: 3.9 From 132844 Users | 9493 ReviewsColumn Appertaining To Books Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
This book is good, but why is it that folks don't TELL each other stuff? Is it because it makes for a better story? You get a climax when folks find out EVERYTHING in a gush of anger and such.It' can't be healthy.I still like this book, but I need to add the fact that does old school China HAVE to be so sad?Even in the US these poor women get such a raw deal, especially Pearl. Her life sucked the most! All that stuff happens to her in Shanghai, they are practically enslaved by that old man. TheyThis is quite possibly the most depressing book I have ever read. I understand that this happened to a lot of people during World War II, the whole rape-sad-escape-sad-angelisland-sad-babydies-sad-ostracized-sad-husbanddies-sad...but dude the entire book is sad and depressing. The thing is, it's not even sad in a beautiful, emotional way. It's not sad that it will make me cry. It's sad because I'm horrified and angered and all shivery from the horrific scenes painted in such great detail. It's
I fell in love with Lisa See's writing a few years ago when I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. As such, I was really looking forward to reading Shanghai Girls when it came out. Initially though, people began saying that it did not compare. So it was with trepidation that I began reading this book, afraid that I would be disappointed. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. All I can say is that Lisa See has another hit on her hands with this wonderful story of two sisters who emigrate from Shanghai to America

There's a phrase in Chinese, chi ku (eat bitterness), which Lisa See's Shanghai Girls exemplifies perfectly. From one end of the book to the other, there's nothing but hardships and heartaches.The first hardship I found is not actually in the story in the novel, but comes from the novel itself. See writes in the first person through the voice of Pearl, a girl growing up in Shanghai during the volatile Sino-Japanese war. Unfortunately, Pearl seems too self-aware of other people's thoughts,
This was the third book I've read by this author and I'm still confused as to my feelings for her writing. The first book I read, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, I loved. I think it was all the descriptions and information about the cultural nuances, including foot binding. Then, I was excited to read, Peony in Love, until I actually started it. Then, I thought maybe this book would turn the tide either way. Unfortunately, I'm still ambivalent. It was an interesting enough story: two "modern"
My god, these women are insufferable.Kidding, kidding. In essence, there are several distinct 'problems' with this book, that are most glaring at the beginning and ending sections. For a fair chunk of the middle, I was actually enjoying it, despite the clunky writing. I was prepared to give it three stars for it's realistic handling of the hardships and racism faced by these people, and it's focus on the experiences of women, which as we all know doesn't happen as often as it should. Characters


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.