Download Books For The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56) Free Online

Share:

Be Specific About Books Toward The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56)

Original Title: 源氏物語 [Genji Monogatari]
ISBN: 014243714X (ISBN13: 9780142437148)
Edition Language: English
Series: 源氏物語 #1-56
Characters: Genji, Fujitsubo, To no Chujo, Murasaki, Yugiri
Setting: Japan
Download Books For The Tale of Genji (源氏物語   #1-56) Free Online
The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56) Paperback | Pages: 1182 pages
Rating: 3.72 | 9927 Users | 914 Reviews

Mention Out Of Books The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56)

Title:The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56)
Author:Murasaki Shikibu
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Special Edition
Pages:Pages: 1182 pages
Published:2003 by Penguin (first published 1008)
Categories:Classics. Fiction. Cultural. Japan. Asian Literature. Japanese Literature. Historical. Historical Fiction

Rendition During Books The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56)

A princess likes stories. One of her ladies-in-waiting is good at making them up. Over years, the lady spins a long, elaborate story containing the princess's favorite theme: hot dudes nailing chicks. Crucially, the lady writes it down and here we are with history's first novel, the origin story of Japan, their Homer and their Star Wars, the winding and weird Tale of Genji.

This is around 1000 CE. In Europe, someone was writing Beowulf about hacking the arms off monsters. The world of Japan couldn't have been more different. This was the Heian Period, an effete and decadent time where folks spent most of their time writing poetry to women hidden behind screens and then weeping about the beauty of a sunrise.

genji

Things one might write a poem about
Sea grass
Tears
Chrysanthemums
Dew
Sleeves (wet, inevitably, with tears)
Autumn leaves
The phrase "How long must I..."

You can practice this at home. Try it!

How long must I wait until iHop opens
my sleeves wet with my tears

Sea grasses bend with the foamy tide
as I bend into my couch to binge Nashville

There's almost a poem a page in this book, so get used to it, unless you're reading one of the bullshit translations that duck the poetry altogether. I read Seidensticker's translation, and perhaps skipped a few parts here and there because listen, it is lengthy. The Scheherezadian author kept tacking chapter after chapter onto the thing; it ambles on into the next generation and it ends up being like 1100 pages and I will perhaps catch up with the rest of these poems after I retire.

That author, that lady-in-waiting, we never got her name so we call her Lady Murasaki after the primary love interest for our handsome prince Genji, and here's the first thing you should know about that love interest: she's like ten. I mean not forever, but definitely when Genji first notices her and goes like "what a babe," she's a babe indeed, and this whole book is squicky as all fuck. Not like Lolita squicky? He doesn't actually have sex with Murasaki when she's ten! He just kidnaps her and saves her in his palace for slightly later, which is also not great.

But hey, he also rapes and impregnates his stepmother, so. Rape is a little murky here - encounters that seem unambiguously to start with rape evolve into consensual affairs. I don't know if this was the time or the author or what. And this is as close as we're getting to a plot: Genji seduces a series of women with various levels of consensuality.

genji_2

I mean, but it's not actually that simple, and this is the wild thing about this ancient book: Genji has real psychological depth. The characters are consistent and they change over time for logical reasons. There's a certain circularity; Genji's crimes will come back around to haunt him. The book seems to have more of a handle on how a novel might operate than other early experiments like Don Quixote, and I'm not fucking with Don Quixote, it's great, but certainly the second half is on a different trip than the first half is.

So Genji isn't just a historical landmark, it's for real good reading. The setting is like nothing you've ever read before - if you want some nonfiction on the Heian period, by the way, the unanimous choice is The World of the Shining Prince, which is pretty good. The characters are memorable, sophisticated, and ambiguous. And if nothing else, it's extremely easy to parody. Genji is just constantly moping about with a guitar, writing poems on fancy stationary that's described in exactly the same loving detail as the business cards from American Psycho, while women swoon over how good his handwriting is.

it's long and weird, but worth it
Like an autumn moonrise, or my dick.

Rating Out Of Books The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56)
Ratings: 3.72 From 9927 Users | 914 Reviews

Criticism Out Of Books The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 #1-56)
Arguably the first novel ever written (using a modern definition of novel), and at the very least the first novel written by a woman, this essential work traces the life of a prince in medieval (Heian) Japan. The novel is intensely psychological and manages to very consistently portray the lives of hundreds of individuals across half a century or more. Aside from the insight the novel provides into the extremely rarified culture of the Japanese court in the middle ages, a reader comes away from

What a remarkable and unique work of literature! It took some patience and a lot of eye rolling but the beautiful poetry and painstakingly detailed descriptions of a world long gone while exposing human folly (all in over a thousand pages) make this book an incredible achievement.

I have only ever skimmed The Tale of Genji, to get an idea of its contents, theme and style of writing. It never really appealed to me much, but of course it is a classic in world literature one should know about if nothing else.I recently came back from a conference where I attended a fascinating presentation describing women, sexuality and salvation in Medieval Japan. Obviously the Tale of Genji came up a lot, and the talk just solidified my ambition to actually read this book from beginning

You know, this book is a lot of things (what 1000+ pager isnt) but its nothing if not truthful. The character of Genji can be summed up in four totally accurate lines from the book:Genji felt like a child thief. The role amused him.Difficult and unconventional relationships always interested him.Self-loathing was not enough to overcome temptation.Genjis troubles, which he had brought upon himself, were nothing new.Genji is a total pedophile. Once, in true pervert style, he grooms a little girl

Rating: 5* of fiveThis review at A Dribble of Ink says more about why Genji matters than I can ever do.I read the book in 1974. I got a hardcover Modern Library edition from my decade-older sister, who owned a bookstore. I read it in one solid week of enchantment, followed by a year of revisits and studies of the notes and other references. (The librarians at my high school agreed with the kids who teased me for being weird.)This is a new translation, I have a copy, but many chunksters await my

La poésie veut quelque chose d'énorme de barbare et de sauvage.(Poetry craves something enormous, barbarous and wild).-DiderotI would much rather meet Murasaki than I would the quirky and observant Sei Shonagon or the sexually charged, emotionally volatile, religiously inspired Nijo, fun though those two might be, as the more substantive woman of the tradition. It would take some time breaking down her barriers, but once through them the culture she'd impart would be tremendous. I know I am of a

i hate this book only a little less than i hate 'twilight'. the historical and literary significances are really impressive (it was the first novel written - and by a woman, for that matter), and it's the source of pretty much everything we currently know about heian court life, but genji is the wimpiest, rapiest protagonist ever. he is literally so mind-crushingly whiny, childish and just plain unlikeable that in my opinion, he ruins what is otherwise a pretty compelling story.also, he rapes

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.