Download Books Online Human Croquet Free

Share:

Describe Epithetical Books Human Croquet

Title:Human Croquet
Author:Kate Atkinson
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 352 pages
Published:November 12th 1999 by Picador (first published 1997)
Categories:Fiction. Fantasy. Historical. Historical Fiction. Science Fiction. Time Travel. Literary Fiction. Contemporary. European Literature. British Literature
Download Books Online Human Croquet  Free
Human Croquet Paperback | Pages: 352 pages
Rating: 3.72 | 8792 Users | 719 Reviews

Description Conducive To Books Human Croquet

New York Times Book Review Notable Book of the Year

Part fairy tale, part mystery, part coming-of-age novel, this novel tells the story of Isobel Fairfax, a girl growing up in Lythe, a typical 1960s British suburb. But Lythe was once the heart of an Elizabethan feudal estate and home to a young English tutor named William Shakespeare, and as Isobel investigates the strange history of her family, her neighbors, and her village, she occasionally gets caught in Shakespearean time warps. Meanwhile, she gets closer to the shocking truths about her missing mother, her war-hero father, and the hidden lives of her close friends and classmates. A stunning feat of imagination and storytelling, Kate Atkinson's Human Croquet is rich with the disappointments and possibilities every family shares.

List Books To Human Croquet

Original Title: Human Croquet
ISBN: 0312186886 (ISBN13: 9780312186883)
Edition Language: English URL http://www.kateatkinson.co.uk/books/info/?t=Human-Croquet
Setting: Warwickshire, England

Rating Epithetical Books Human Croquet
Ratings: 3.72 From 8792 Users | 719 Reviews

Evaluation Epithetical Books Human Croquet
"Experimental style" are words that usually put me off reading something; "by Kate Atkinson" are words that always pull me in. And that's how it is with this: it's imaginative and Atkinson is clearly taking her writing skills for a walk, and there are bits where it sort of goes off-piste a bit - but overall, it works. I found myself drawn into the atmosphere and the characters and admiring the title for its cleverness and appropriateness. Not my favourite Atkinson to date, but certainly

I picked this up after reading 'Life After Life,' which I first found very confusing, then slightly boring, then amazing. Reading 'Human Croquet' caused similar feelings in a different order (boring-->amazing-->confusing), which is fitting because Atkinson messes with time, order, reality, and perception quite often. Sound confusing? It is. I really, really loved Atkinson's prose in 'Life After Life' and even though I found it confusing initially, it all came together in the end and I was

I loved this book. Infused with gothic melodrama, darkly comic and yet wistful, literate and playful. The narrator is deeply unreliable so those readers who prefer a straight tale will probably not like it although the book is an enthralling page turner. Yummy



6/2015: Just came across some notes from when I read this.They are the notes of a younger me, and I cannot defend them as I don't really remember the book (other than the cat sleeping thing (q.v. below)). "This is a surreal journey through the life of a suburban English teenager and her family. As eccentric as they appear throughout the book, the ultimate feeling is that they are just as normal as everyone else, or that everyone else is just as eccentric. I was charmed by the voice of this girl.

Surreal but grounded, quirky but not frivolous, endearing and sad- this is a mystery of lost identity, lost souls, crimes of passion, time warps and warped minds. It's delicious, clever, unsettling, grim and guffaw-inducing. Atkinson is a category unto herself.

"Experimental style" are words that usually put me off reading something; "by Kate Atkinson" are words that always pull me in. And that's how it is with this: it's imaginative and Atkinson is clearly taking her writing skills for a walk, and there are bits where it sort of goes off-piste a bit - but overall, it works. I found myself drawn into the atmosphere and the characters and admiring the title for its cleverness and appropriateness. Not my favourite Atkinson to date, but certainly

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.