Be Specific About Containing Books Dear and Glorious Physician
| Title | : | Dear and Glorious Physician |
| Author | : | Taylor Caldwell |
| Book Format | : | Mass Market Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 560 pages |
| Published | : | June 1st 1982 by Bantam Books (first published 1958) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Religion. Classics. Christian |

Taylor Caldwell
Mass Market Paperback | Pages: 560 pages Rating: 4.31 | 6009 Users | 375 Reviews
Narration Toward Books Dear and Glorious Physician
Today St. Luke is known as the author of the third Gospel of the New Testament, but two thousand years ago he was Lucanus, a Greek, a man who loved, knew the emptiness of bereavement, and later traveled through the hills and wastes of Judea asking, "What manner of man was my Lord?" And it is of this Lucanus that Taylor Caldwell tells here in one of the most stirring stories ever lived or written.
Declare Books To Dear and Glorious Physician
| Original Title: | Dear and Glorious Physician |
| ISBN: | 0553227882 (ISBN13: 9780553227888) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | St. Luke, Lucanus, Jesus |
Rating Containing Books Dear and Glorious Physician
Ratings: 4.31 From 6009 Users | 375 ReviewsCriticize Containing Books Dear and Glorious Physician
This is a Historical novel about the life of St. Luke, writer of one of the four gospels in the Bible and also the Acts of the Apostles. Based on Lukes background as a Physician, the author starts the narrative in Lukes early days and leads us to the time just after Jesus death. Even though his origins are not clear, he is supposed to have been born a slave and raised in his stepfathers house. Through all of his life, he is supposed to fight an internal battle against social injustice and God'sI loved this book! We know so little about Luke and I realize that this is fiction but Ms. Caldwell is almost more historian than fiction writer in many ways. Her grasp on Rome and the what lead to its fall is powerful. I had read this initially as a library copy but I had order my own because there was so many great quotes to mark...The following quote is my favorite..."You misunderstand me, Priscus. I know that it was inevitable that Rome become what she is. Republics decay into democracies,

This book is rated as Taylor Caldwell's greatest novel. She covers the basic facts of the life of St Luke...born a Greek - Lucanus... and trained in medicine to become a famous physician who travelled all over healing the sick with the background of the Roman Empire. Later in the book he becomes deeply interested in Christianity and although he had never met Jesus, he moves around those who knew him including his Mother and Pontius Pilate to find out all he can, eventually embracing Christianity
This is probably the best book I have ever read. It is incredibly humbling to read. My favorite part is reading of Luke's childhood. His innocent devotion to God convicts and exhorts us to do the same. This book changed the way I viewed God and the way I relate to him. Taylor Caldwell can just flat out write. Her sentences are packed with imagery. Each word is measured for maximum power. Intelligent? Why yes she is. This fact smacks you in the face. I had to look up much of the Greek
I love reading books that close friends have recommended to me. I know my friend better now after reading his favorite book.I really enjoyed this book -- the best part is the last chapter in part 1. I feel like this book went on a little too long, once Lucanus began meeting with the biblical figures to write his Gospel, I felt this part was a bit repetitive.But the atmosphere of ancient Rome was fantastic, and Lucanus's journey to faith was well worth the read.
At least 4 stars, probably 5.This is my first Taylor Caldwell, and I'm impressed with her detailed style. Rather than simply reading, the reader experiences the story. I marvel at the few authors who can truly pull this off, and Caldwell is one of them. The story is long (500+ pages) with enough detail to slow the reader down.This fictionalized story of Luke took a number of probable liberties about Luke's background from a young boy to the writer of the Gospel of Luke, but always upheld the


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.