One Man's Meat 
These are Mr. White's ruminations from a pre-American involvement of WWII, up until December of 1942.
They are quiet; they are sublime. They are not to be rushed. In fact, I found myself at the end of each essay in a sort of hushed awe. I rarely wanted to read more than one per night. They're too precious.
If you don't know Andy (the beloved Mr. White's nickname), I can't recommend him more. At a time when so many other writers were misogynistic or racist or old-fashioned or more, he manages to be fresh and modern and non-judgemental, in the current day.
And his observations? So. . . clever, so heart-breaking. I could fill this review many times over with his words. But instead, I'll leave you with this one lovely, thought-provoking passage:
Freedom is a household word now, but it's only once in a while that you see a man who is actively, almost belligerently free. It struck me as we worked our way homeward up the rough bay with our catch of lobsters and a fresh breeze in our teeth that this was what the fight was all about. This was it. Either we would continue to have it or we wouldn't, this right to speak our own minds, haul our own traps, mind our own business, and wallow in the wide, wide sea.
Dearest Andy. I love you so.
This collection of essays is such a fine book; it deserves a much better commentary than it currently has here. And given the times we live in, its subject matter is particularly timely for American readers -- the period of history leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor and the early years of the war effort -- all told from the point of view of a thoughtful writer on a small farm in Maine.White had moved there with his wife and young son from New York, where he'd been writing for The New
The essays of E. B. White in his delightful collection, One Man's Meat, represent a style of writing that is very welcoming to the reader. I found myself laughing out loud at his subtle humor and, while some in our Thursday night book group found the book somewhat superficial, I found a connection that suggested deeper thoughts. Written in the late 30's and early 40s during the approach of and beginning of World War II, White's essays comment on the world around him and chronicle his life on a

A very unique collection of essays. Some were just so so, but there were some moments of literary brilliance. The subjects range from thoughts on world affairs to raising chickens and the design of automobiles.
I am a huge fan of E.B. White's essays. This collection, all written in the late 1930's and very early 40's, is often a time capsule from small-town American life in the early years of WWII - certainly not simpler or easier times, but maybe kinder and less complicated. White writes beautifully; he has a wonderful eye (and ear) for details. Truly, he's a pleasure to read. and savor. I can't remember the last time I spent four months on a book (although I probably read the last half of it in a
EB White is observant, wise, and funny, yet unpretentious.
Simply put this is one of my favorite books of all time. I was sad to get to the end. I love to read essays, love to write essays, but this is more than just about reading someone who is a master of the format. Somehow, this collection of incredibly funny, sweet, personal and very masculine stories is put together in such a way (either by editing or by their own natural chronological order) that they form a story of his life just before and during the start of WWII. He comes alive in these
E.B. White
Paperback | Pages: 296 pages Rating: 4.28 | 1508 Users | 181 Reviews

Declare Books Concering One Man's Meat
| Original Title: | One Man's Meat |
| ISBN: | 0884481921 (ISBN13: 9780884481928) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Description Supposing Books One Man's Meat
If you desire twists and turns and cheap thrills in your reading, then this is not the ride for you.These are Mr. White's ruminations from a pre-American involvement of WWII, up until December of 1942.
They are quiet; they are sublime. They are not to be rushed. In fact, I found myself at the end of each essay in a sort of hushed awe. I rarely wanted to read more than one per night. They're too precious.
If you don't know Andy (the beloved Mr. White's nickname), I can't recommend him more. At a time when so many other writers were misogynistic or racist or old-fashioned or more, he manages to be fresh and modern and non-judgemental, in the current day.
And his observations? So. . . clever, so heart-breaking. I could fill this review many times over with his words. But instead, I'll leave you with this one lovely, thought-provoking passage:
Freedom is a household word now, but it's only once in a while that you see a man who is actively, almost belligerently free. It struck me as we worked our way homeward up the rough bay with our catch of lobsters and a fresh breeze in our teeth that this was what the fight was all about. This was it. Either we would continue to have it or we wouldn't, this right to speak our own minds, haul our own traps, mind our own business, and wallow in the wide, wide sea.
Dearest Andy. I love you so.
Particularize Epithetical Books One Man's Meat
| Title | : | One Man's Meat |
| Author | : | E.B. White |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 296 pages |
| Published | : | June 1st 2003 by Tilbury House Publishers (first published 1942) |
| Categories | : | Writing. Essays. Nonfiction. Autobiography. Memoir. Classics. Language |
Rating Epithetical Books One Man's Meat
Ratings: 4.28 From 1508 Users | 181 ReviewsJudgment Epithetical Books One Man's Meat
I just love to read EB White's essays and this collection was especially enjoyable. These essays were written between 1938 and 1943 and gave an idea of what life was like in rural America during the early years of the war. My dad grew up on a small farm in upstate NY and so many of these essays reminded me of stories my dad would tell about this time. This is a book I will dip into and read over and over again.This collection of essays is such a fine book; it deserves a much better commentary than it currently has here. And given the times we live in, its subject matter is particularly timely for American readers -- the period of history leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor and the early years of the war effort -- all told from the point of view of a thoughtful writer on a small farm in Maine.White had moved there with his wife and young son from New York, where he'd been writing for The New
The essays of E. B. White in his delightful collection, One Man's Meat, represent a style of writing that is very welcoming to the reader. I found myself laughing out loud at his subtle humor and, while some in our Thursday night book group found the book somewhat superficial, I found a connection that suggested deeper thoughts. Written in the late 30's and early 40s during the approach of and beginning of World War II, White's essays comment on the world around him and chronicle his life on a

A very unique collection of essays. Some were just so so, but there were some moments of literary brilliance. The subjects range from thoughts on world affairs to raising chickens and the design of automobiles.
I am a huge fan of E.B. White's essays. This collection, all written in the late 1930's and very early 40's, is often a time capsule from small-town American life in the early years of WWII - certainly not simpler or easier times, but maybe kinder and less complicated. White writes beautifully; he has a wonderful eye (and ear) for details. Truly, he's a pleasure to read. and savor. I can't remember the last time I spent four months on a book (although I probably read the last half of it in a
EB White is observant, wise, and funny, yet unpretentious.
Simply put this is one of my favorite books of all time. I was sad to get to the end. I love to read essays, love to write essays, but this is more than just about reading someone who is a master of the format. Somehow, this collection of incredibly funny, sweet, personal and very masculine stories is put together in such a way (either by editing or by their own natural chronological order) that they form a story of his life just before and during the start of WWII. He comes alive in these


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.