Define Books In Pursuance Of The Tiger's Wife
| Original Title: | The Tiger's Wife |
| ISBN: | 0385343833 (ISBN13: 9780385343831) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Natalia Stefanovic |
| Setting: | Balkans |
| Literary Awards: | Orange Prize for Fiction (2011), Internationaler Literaturpreis – Haus der Kulturen der Welt Nominee (2012), Indies Choice Book Award for Adult Debut (2012), NAIBA Book of the Year for Fiction (2011), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Fiction (2012) 本屋大賞 for Translated Fiction (2013), National Book Award Finalist for Fiction (2011), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Fiction (2011), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee (2013) |
Téa Obreht
Hardcover | Pages: 338 pages Rating: 3.39 | 85462 Users | 10550 Reviews
Representaion In Favor Of Books The Tiger's Wife
Weaving a brilliant latticework of family legend, loss, and love, Téa Obreht, the youngest of The New Yorker’s twenty best American fiction writers under forty, has spun a timeless novel that will establish her as one of the most vibrant, original authors of her generation.In a Balkan country mending from years of conflict, Natalia, a young doctor, arrives on a mission of mercy at an orphanage by the sea. By the time she and her lifelong friend Zóra begin to inoculate the children there, she feels age-old superstitions and secrets gathering everywhere around her. Secrets her outwardly cheerful hosts have chosen not to tell her. Secrets involving the strange family digging for something in the surrounding vineyards. Secrets hidden in the landscape itself.
But Natalia is also confronting a private, hurtful mystery of her own: the inexplicable circumstances surrounding her beloved grandfather’s recent death. After telling her grandmother that he was on his way to meet Natalia, he instead set off for a ramshackle settlement none of their family had ever heard of and died there alone. A famed physician, her grandfather must have known that he was too ill to travel. Why he left home becomes a riddle Natalia is compelled to unravel.
Grief struck and searching for clues to her grandfather’s final state of mind, she turns to the stories he told her when she was a child. On their weeklytrips to the zoo he would read to her from a worn copy of Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book, which he carried with him everywhere; later, he told her stories of his own encounters over many years with “the deathless man,” a vagabond who claimed to be immortal and appeared never to age. But the most extraordinary story of all is the one her grandfather never told her, the one Natalia must discover for herself. One winter during the Second World War, his childhood village was snowbound, cut off even from the encroaching German invaders but haunted by another, fierce presence: a tiger who comes ever closer under cover of darkness. “These stories,” Natalia comes to understand, “run like secret rivers through all the other stories” of her grandfather’s life. And it is ultimately within these rich, luminous narratives that she will find the answer she is looking for.

Particularize Appertaining To Books The Tiger's Wife
| Title | : | The Tiger's Wife |
| Author | : | Téa Obreht |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 338 pages |
| Published | : | March 8th 2011 by Random House |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Magical Realism. Literary Fiction. Book Club. War. Contemporary |
Rating Appertaining To Books The Tiger's Wife
Ratings: 3.39 From 85462 Users | 10550 ReviewsArticle Appertaining To Books The Tiger's Wife
I'm probably one of the few people who didn't "get" this book. While I give credit to Tea Obreht for her ingenuity and creativity with the story, I felt at times frustrated by the pace of the the book and the way it wound through the fantastical tales which I found more distracting than entertaining or enlightening in its detour from the main story. I kept wanting to care about the main character, Natalia, and the relationship she shared with her grandfather but felt Obreht kept me hanging andI was born in Belgrade a few years before the author and (unlike her) lived there until college graduation, throughout the wars and crises of the 1990s. I was hoping that this book could tell some authentic stories about my generation and my homeland, but after reading it I am disappointed on various levels, which I will try to explain in this review. MYTHS and RITUALS: I start here because this book is mostly advertised as a mythical Balkan novel. Some basic concepts the author does get right,
One of those books that casts a spell from which you emerge so reluctantly after the last word. The cycles of death and rebirth, superstition and truth, love and revenge weave through the legends and family stories of the Balkans and the quests of two doctors, a modern young woman and her beloved grandfather. "When your fight has purpose--to free you from something, to interfere on behalf of the innocent--it has the hope of finality. When the fight is about unraveling-- when it is about your

What do you say in a moment like this? When you can't find the words to tell it like it is. Just bite your tongue and let your heart lead the way. Lyrics from What do you say? Reba McEntireFriends, I am literally drawing strength from a country song as I write this review. Please cover your eyes and plug your ears and know that it's not you, it's me. I have read thousands of reviews( okay maybe a slight exaggeration ) in the last 24 hours, including many literary critics and interviews with
OK... So here's the deal. Maybe this book is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I made it through almost 3 of 9 discs of the audio, and every time I turned it back on, I immediately found myself getting annoyed and frustrated. Seriously, immediately. There was no transition from perfectly fine, through tetchy to peevish to annoyed. Nope. I turn on this audiobook, and then I hear the narration, and 2 seconds later I want to rip out my car CD player in a
5 stars for hype4 stars for beautiful writing3 stars for interesting folk stories2 stars for plot1 star for meaning5 stars. Hype. I'm in the book trade - I have a book shop. I know that all these magazines from the distributors and the newsletters from the book sites that purport to introduce us in an unbiased way to new releases are ttotally fake. Every single one of those books is paid-for advertising. And a lot of money was spent on hyping this book up.4 stars. Beautiful writing. Luminous
Great review and I agree completely.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.