Free Books Online Eureka Street

Share:

Present Books Concering Eureka Street

Original Title: Eureka Street
ISBN: 0345427130 (ISBN13: 9780345427137)
Edition Language: English
Setting: Belfast, Northern Ireland(United Kingdom)
Free Books Online Eureka Street
Eureka Street Paperback | Pages: 396 pages
Rating: 4.18 | 2956 Users | 254 Reviews

Define Of Books Eureka Street

Title:Eureka Street
Author:Robert McLiam Wilson
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 396 pages
Published:February 22nd 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1996)
Categories:Fiction. Cultural. Ireland. European Literature. Irish Literature. Historical. Historical Fiction

Description As Books Eureka Street

In a city blasted by years of force and fury, but momentarily stilled by a cease-fire, two unlikely friends search for that most human of needs: love. But of course, a night of lust will do. Jake Jackson and Chuckie Lurgan--one Catholic, one Protestant--navigate their sectarian city and their nonsectarian friendship with wit and style. Chuckie, an unemployed dreamer, stumbles into bliss with a beautiful American who lives in Belfast. Jake, a repo man with the soul of a poet, can only manage a hilarious war of insults with a spitfire Republican whose Irish name, properly pronounced, sounds like someone choking.

Brilliant, exuberant, and bitingly funny, Eureka Street introduces us to one of the finest young writers to emerge from Ireland in years.

Rating Of Books Eureka Street
Ratings: 4.18 From 2956 Users | 254 Reviews

Article Of Books Eureka Street
Eureka Street is a lot of things. It is a story about growing up. Uncharacteristic in that it's main characters are aged 30 instead of 18, it is nonetheless the story of two boys learning how to live with themselves and finding out what really matters in life. It is a story about identity in a setting in which the labels by which we identify ourselves-- Catholic, Protestant, English, Irish, liberal, conservative-- can also condemn us to death. But even more than being a story about two men

When I was 17 I was going to accept a summer-work offer from a farmer in Londonderry. I'm not sure to remember properly what I was supposed to pick up in Northern Ireland. Might have been cucumbers. Unfortunately at that time my knowledge of the English language was pretty low, so I thought I would have picked up watermelons (known as "cocomeri" in Italy). And I was wondering a lot about that task. Perhaps Northern Irish watermelons were smaller than the ones growing up under the warm

Really emotional novel, could have been better had it be a bit more ..."tight": too many threads, not closing when they could They all had stories. But they weren't short stories. They shouldn't have been short stories. They should each have been novels, profound, delightful novels, eight hundred pages or more. And not just the lives of the victims but the lives they touched, the networks of friendship and intimacy and relation that tied them to those they loved and who loved them, those they

I loved this book! It was assigned reading in college and I was dreading it. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. The characters lives are so interesting....it leaves you wanting more. A great read!!

The descriptions of Belfast in the 90s was very appealing with warm memories of Laverys. I laughed out loud about Chuckie's mum. Apart from that I found this hard going with brief bits of respite.

Having lived in Ireland for over 17 years, I've always made a point of reading virtually any book by either a well known or new writer from this country. Having said this, "Eureka Street" was recommended to me by a Polish friend.. (Thanks, Mac)This book is about love - it's a love song written to the greyest, wettest, dampest, most depressing city I've ever seen. Robert Wilson McLiam was, of course, "bred and buttered" in Belfast - to use an old Irish expression. This book is set in 1996, just

Don't know how I stumbled upon this novel--maybe one of those pop-up recommendations from Good Reads?--but I'm really glad I did. I'm not particularly interested in Northern Ireland, but I am interested in great writing, and this is great writing. I can't remember the last time I've been so moved by the VOICE in a novel. It's impossible not to fall in love with first-person Jake.

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.