Free Download The Poetic Edda Books Online

Share:

Itemize Containing Books The Poetic Edda

Title:The Poetic Edda
Author:Unknown
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Second Edition, Revised
Pages:Pages: 343 pages
Published:1990 by University of Texas Press (first published 1270)
Categories:Poetry. Fantasy. Mythology. Classics. History
Free Download The Poetic Edda  Books Online
The Poetic Edda Paperback | Pages: 343 pages
Rating: 4.26 | 7133 Users | 361 Reviews

Explanation Toward Books The Poetic Edda

The Poetic Edda comprises a treasure trove of mythic and spiritual verse holding an important place in Nordic culture, literature, and heritage. Its tales of strife and death form a repository, in poetic form, of Norse mythology and heroic lore, embodying both the ethical views and the cultural life of the North during the late heathen and early Christian times.

Collected by an unidentified Icelander, probably during the twelfth or thirteenth century, The Poetic Edda was rediscovered in Iceland in the seventeenth century by Danish scholars. Even then its value as poetry, as a source of historical information, and as a collection of entertaining stories was recognized. This meticulous translation succeeds in reproducing the verse patterns, the rhythm, the mood, and the dignity of the original in a revision that Scandinavian Studies says "may well grace anyone's bookshelf."

Declare Books During The Poetic Edda

ISBN: 0292764995 (ISBN13: 9780292764996)
Edition Language: English


Rating Containing Books The Poetic Edda
Ratings: 4.26 From 7133 Users | 361 Reviews

Assessment Containing Books The Poetic Edda
The Voluspa is the first poem of the Edda. It tells of the birth of the world, the giants and the gods, a few things in their lives, and then Ragnarok. It is one of the most beautiful, poignant, and sad things I've ever read. The world is out to get you and everyone dies, that's what Norse mythology teaches us.Note on the translation: I mostly read Carolyn Larrington's UNrevised translation. I had the great fortune of getting a copy of Ursula Dronke's Voluspa and it is superior in every way as



So... yeah. I'm not sure why I had to be a fully-grown adult before it ever occurred to me that I could read this, but I probably would have gotten a bit bored at a younger age.Takeaways:1. Tolkein was a huge Norse Fanboy. I mean, so was C. S. Lewis to an extent (I'm looking at you, Fenris Ulf, captain of the White Queen's guard), but a full third of Tolkein's named characters are named in the very first poetic Edda. This cracks me up.2. All the great stories borrow from other great stories in

It turns out that I have a real thing for Scandinavian literature. Reading this and the sagas has made me a little obsessed with the idea of visiting Iceland. Its hard for me to separate my thoughts on the eddas from my thoughts on the sagas and the most recent Sigrid Undset novel Im reading, but Im going to try to keep everything to its proper review space. Alright. The Elder Edda (or Poetic Edda) is the written version of the oral-tradition base material from which the later Younger/Prose Edda

famous for being one of the earliest plagiarisms of professor Tolkien's LotR.

I thought I would enjoy this more than I actually did. Luckily, I already knew about the legends in Norse mythology or I would have given up, I definitely prefer prose to poetry.

I wish I hadnt read all the gory details!

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.