Free A Very Long Engagement Books Online

Share:

Present Regarding Books A Very Long Engagement

Title:A Very Long Engagement
Author:Sébastien Japrisot
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 327 pages
Published:September 1st 1994 by Plume (first published September 6th 1991)
Categories:Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Cultural. France. War. World War I. Romance
Free A Very Long Engagement  Books Online
A Very Long Engagement Paperback | Pages: 327 pages
Rating: 3.9 | 5819 Users | 533 Reviews

Narration As Books A Very Long Engagement

In January 1917, five wounded French soldiers, their hands bound behind them, are brought to the front at Picardy by their own troops, forced into the no-man's land between the French and German armies, and left to die in the cross fire. Their brutal punishment has been hushed up for more than two years when Mathilde Donnay, unable to walk since childhood, begins a relentless quest to find out whether her fiancé, officially "killed in the line of duty," might still be alive. Tipped off by a letter from a dying soldier, the shrewd, sardonic, and wonderfully imaginative Mathilde scours the country for information about the men. As she carries her search to its end, an elaborate web of deception and coincidence emerges, and Mathilde comes to an understanding of the horrors, and the acts of kindness, brought about by war.

A runaway bestseller in France and the winner of the 1991 Prix Interallié, this astonishing novel is many things at once: an absorbing mystery, a playful study of the different ways one story can be told, a moving and incisive portrait of life in France during and after the First World War, and a love story of transforming power and beauty.

Particularize Books During A Very Long Engagement

Original Title: Un long dimanche de fiançailles
ISBN: 0452272971 (ISBN13: 9780452272972)
Edition Language: English
Literary Awards: Prix Interallié (1991)

Rating Regarding Books A Very Long Engagement
Ratings: 3.9 From 5819 Users | 533 Reviews

Comment On Regarding Books A Very Long Engagement
I was unimpressed by this book. The author's writing style was confusing to follow, as he wrote it in present tense and avoided writing conversations using quotations. The plot jumped from one point to another very quickly and with out much notice. There were also too many characters to easily keep track of. The five soldiers each have a name, nickname(s), and number, along with multiple relatives and friends who also have nicknames. It was hard to keep track of all the different relationships

A story of WW I translated from the French. Just before the war begins, a young woman who is confined to a wheelchair meets the love of her life. Of course he goes off to war and perishes in the trenches. Little by little, over ten years, she learns odds and ends of details of what actually happened to him.We learn right at the beginning of the novel that so many soldiers were deserting and getting self-inflicted wounds that army officers decided to make an example of five such men. Instead of

Can't believe I actually finsihed this book. Several times I wanted to give up but I kept thinking/hoping it was going to get better. The plot itself was interesting and had potential. In a nutshell this book is about France and post WWI and young woman looking for her fiance who is delcared MIA. Some of the little stories and flashbacks were interesting but this book was long and boring at times. Also the characters were confusing. I give it two stars for not being terrible but could have been

I've been reviewing for over 5 years. In that time, there is only one book that I ever started that I did not finish. Well, now that number is increasing to two.I won't give a summary as many, many others have given a really detailed summary that is far better than anything I could ever have done justice to. Instead, let me tell you why I stopped at page 113 and why I have no inclination to finish this book.The first twenty pages are spent introducing five soldiers--their names, their prison

The story is sweet and nice, following the hard efforts of a girl who tries to discover what happened to her fiancé. I would though want a bit more action, not so many letter describing the actions. I couldn't tell the end until it was almost there - even though I hoped for it. All in one it is a nice good story. 3.5 stars it's what I feel good with.

A story of WW I translated from the French. Just before the war begins, a young woman who is confined to a wheelchair meets the love of her life. Of course he goes off to war and perishes in the trenches. Little by little, over ten years, she learns odds and ends of details of what actually happened to him.We learn right at the beginning of the novel that so many soldiers were deserting and getting self-inflicted wounds that army officers decided to make an example of five such men. Instead of

I started this book a long time ago, but couldn't make it past page 8 or 9. It seemed so boring. But several months ago, a friend asked me if it was the same book as the movie, and he said that he had liked the movie. So, I decided to give the movie a try. As luck would have it, our old DVD player kept skipping since the DVD was a bit damaged, so I haven't seen the whole movie yet. But, I was inspired to pick the book up again to figure out what I had missed in the movie. With a bit of

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.