Particularize Books In Pursuance Of Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely
| Original Title: | Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely |
| ISBN: | 0981734227 (ISBN13: 9780981734224) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Macel Ely II
Hardcover | Pages: 345 pages Rating: 4.11 | 28 Users | 8 Reviews

List Appertaining To Books Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely
| Title | : | Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely |
| Author | : | Macel Ely II |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 345 pages |
| Published | : | March 31st 2011 by Dust to Digital (first published December 2010) |
| Categories | : | Music. History. Biography. Art. Photography. Nonfiction. Autobiography. Memoir |
Ilustration To Books Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely
Once described as the King Recording Label's "Gospel Ranger," Brother Claude Ely (1922-1978) was known and loved throughout the Appalachian mountains as both a religious singer-songwriter and a Pentecostal-Holiness preacher.Few people, however, knew the details of his childhood, military service and years of hard toil in the coal fields of southwestern Virginia. What Ely was known for was his brilliance as a preacher and his songwriting gifts. Through the enormous popularity of songs like "There Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down," Brother Claude Ely bequeathed a musical and spiritual influence that continues to resonate throughout the Appalachians and in gospel music today.
Authored by Ely's great-nephew Macel Ely, "Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely" is an oral biography composed from recorded interviews with more than 1,000 people in the Appalachian Mountains who knew Brother Claude Ely. An accompanying CD collects two recordings of "There Ain't No Grave" alongside other songs and sermons.
With CD (Audio
Rating Appertaining To Books Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely
Ratings: 4.11 From 28 Users | 8 ReviewsJudge Appertaining To Books Ain't No Grave: The Life and Legacy of Brother Claude Ely
This book is really touching, and it's amazing the life lessons that I was challenged with in reading it. It's very inspirational, and I loved the author's style of utilizing hundreds of interviews to make one,sweet story. The author made me often feel like I was actually there at these events. Sometimes I would catch myself getting a Kleenex, and other times I found myself chuckling out loud while reading. The photos were great. The music was precious. It made me long for a simpler time. TheI bought this book at www.aintnograve.comIt was a great book, and I would highly recommend it.
Interesting look at this particular legend in music and religion. Not the most concise or well-written book (as the author concedes that he's not a writer by trade), it surprised me as more of a transcribed oral history project than a traditional biography. I found myself skimming after awhile, but I'm still glad to have context and backstory for this artist I've come to appreciate.

Discovered this book and Bro Claude Ely on NPR -- of course. I really want to listen to the accompanying cd. May 5 2011.
I bought this book at www.aintnograve.comIt was a great book, and I would highly recommend it.
Ain't No Grave: The Life & Legacy of Brother Claude Ely is a fun-read. I enjoyed reading it a lot. When I first picked up the book to read it, I was hoping it would keep my attention and perhaps entertain my current state of boredom. Instead, I was delighted to find it not only entertained me but it also captivated me. My wife bought the book at www.aintnograve.com because she likes American roots music and its history. This book certainly fits into that category, but it also was very raw
Takes you into the world of Pentecostal Holiness Christianity in Appalachia and the surrounding South and Midwest in early and middle 20th century through the life of bigger-than-life preacher, singer, and songwriter Claude Ely. This is a world I thought I had some knowledge of, but this book gave me a much better understanding of this American Christian subculture, a subculture that has punched above its weight in its influence on American music and is a quintessentially American manifestation


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.