Particularize Books In Favor Of Peace Like a River
| Original Title: | Peace Like a River |
| ISBN: | 0802139256 (ISBN13: 9780802139252) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Rube Land, Swede Land, Davy Land, Jeremiah Land |
| Setting: | United States of America North Dakota(United States) |
| Literary Awards: | Book Sense Book of the Year Award for Adult Fiction (2002), Independent Publisher Book Award (IPPY) for Fiction - General (2002), ALA Alex Award (2002), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee (2003) |
Leif Enger
Paperback | Pages: 312 pages Rating: 4 | 73229 Users | 7416 Reviews

Itemize About Books Peace Like a River
| Title | : | Peace Like a River |
| Author | : | Leif Enger |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 312 pages |
| Published | : | August 7th 2002 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2001) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Book Club. Adult Fiction. Adult. Literary Fiction. Novels |
Representaion Concering Books Peace Like a River
Once in a great while, we encounter a novel in our voluminous reading that begs to be read aloud. Leif Enger's debut, Peace Like a River, is one such work. His richly evocative novel, narrated by an asthmatic 11-year-old named Reuben Land, is the story of Reuben's unusual family and their journey across the frozen Badlands of the Dakotas in search of his fugitive older brother. Charged with the murder of two locals who terrorized their family, Davy has fled, understanding that the scales of justice will not weigh in his favor. But Reuben, his father, Jeremiah—a man of faith so deep he has been known to produce miracles—and Reuben's little sister, Swede, follow closely behind the fleeing Davy.Affecting and dynamic, Peace Like a River is at once a tragedy, a romance, and an unflagging exploration into the spirituality and magic possible in the everyday world, and in that of the world awaiting us on the other side of life. In Enger's superb debut effort, we witness a wondrous celebration of family, faith, and spirit, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long, long time—and the birth of a classic work of literature.
Rating About Books Peace Like a River
Ratings: 4 From 73229 Users | 7416 ReviewsWrite Up About Books Peace Like a River
I'm rereading this again for a book club I'm hosting. It is one of my all-time favorite books because it has GREAT writing, a wonderful message, a twisting plot and has laugh out loud parts. When people ask me for a book to read, this is the first one I recommend."Peace Like a River" opens with the narrator's stillbirth. "My lungs refused to kick in," Reuben writes in a moment that's at once terrifying and reassuring. While the doctor mumbles platitudes and his mother wails, Reuben's father senses that something's wrong. He sprints across the parking lot, back into the hospital, up into the room, and punches the doctor to get to his limp son. "Reuben Land," he commands, "in the name of the living God I am telling you to breathe."How wonderful that the
One of the most satisfying novels I have read.

Just finished this book. Highly recommend it! It is a very creative story, full of wonderful prose, and characters you come to love, admire and hate. Very interesting spiritual theme running throughout the book. It is clear the author has some understanding of the miraculous! This is certainly not a story that has what we would call a happy ending, but surprises you and on some level it makes sense. And the ending is not even the most important thing - it is walking the journey with these
It's been weeks since I read this book, and yet I keep forgetting to write a review for it. Why? Well, for starters, I usually have the book around and its presence reminds me to review it. Not so with this novel, which I have bought three times while traveling for my own novel, and given away twice before I could get it home with me. It's just that kind of book, where you want to go "oh man, take this."To call it a Western is to scare off everyone who finds Clint Eastwood a little bit of a turn
2016 REVIEW: I just re-read this one for book club. After almost eight years, it was good to revisit it and rediscover what I loved about it. I remembered loving the characters (especially Reuben and Swede) and the setting (the desolation of the Dakota Badlands). I remembered loving the writing: absolutely some of the best writing I've encountered in all the books I've read.I remembered almost nothing of the plot besides fugitive Davy and the family in the Airstream trailer, so it was an
This is quite possibly the most stunningly beautiful book I have ever read, I say while weeping. Second read: still true.


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.