Be Specific About Epithetical Books Goodbye Tsugumi
| Title | : | Goodbye Tsugumi |
| Author | : | Banana Yoshimoto |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 186 pages |
| Published | : | 2002 by Faber & Faber (first published March 20th 1989) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Cultural. Japan. Asian Literature. Japanese Literature. Contemporary. Asia. Literature. Novels |

Banana Yoshimoto
Paperback | Pages: 186 pages Rating: 3.7 | 8127 Users | 621 Reviews
Ilustration In Favor Of Books Goodbye Tsugumi
Banana Yoshimoto's novels of young life in Japan have made her an international sensation. Goodbye Tsugumi is an offbeat story of a deep and complicated friendship between two female cousins that ranks among her best work. Maria is the only daughter of an unmarried woman. She has grown up at the seaside alongside her cousin Tsugumi, a lifelong invalid, charismatic, spoiled, and occasionally cruel. Now Maria's father is finally able to bring Maria and her mother to Tokyo, ushering Maria into a world of university, impending adulthood, and a "normal" family. When Tsugumi invites Maria to spend a last summer by the sea, a restful idyll becomes a time of dramatic growth as Tsugumi finds love and Maria learns the true meaning of home and family. She also has to confront both Tsugumi's inner strength and the real possibility of losing her. Goodbye Tsugumi is a beguiling, resonant novel from one of the world's finest young writers.Present Books Supposing Goodbye Tsugumi
| Original Title: | TUGUMI [つぐみ] |
| ISBN: | 0571212794 (ISBN13: 9780571212798) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Shirakawa Maria, Yamamoto Tsugumi, Yamamoto Yoko, Kyoichi |
| Setting: | Japan |
| Literary Awards: | 山本周五郎賞 Yamamoto Shūgorō Prize (1989) |
Rating Epithetical Books Goodbye Tsugumi
Ratings: 3.7 From 8127 Users | 621 ReviewsEvaluate Epithetical Books Goodbye Tsugumi
I can only hope for Yoshimotos's sake that A LOT was lost in the translation of this book. I'm just glad it was a short, quick read because I really, really hated it. Where to start? First of all, I dislike Yoshimoto's general writing style. Word choice is poor (although I realize that could be due to the translation) and the dialogue is sooooo lame. It's like a middle school student wrote it.Also, what is up with this: "I can't explain this very well. But just then, as the lucid rush of theI was not impressed. After hearing so many great things about Kitchen, I was really looking forward to it. And while I did admire the author's use of language at times (a blend of personal, friendly narration; gruff slang; and poetic reflections on nature), I felt the characters were thinly drawn and unsympathetic. The story felt, quite frankly, pointless--- and the ending was very odd. For literary fiction, it's certainly accessible. But what you're accessing is perhaps not particularly worth

From the time she was born, Tsugumi was ridiculously frail, and she had a whole slew of physical ailments and defects. Her doctors announced that she would die young and her family began preparing for the worst. Of course everyone around her spoiled her like you wouldnt believe. I loved "Kitchen" by this author but I actually prefer this book. What it is, I've really tried to fathom it out, basically is that it comes down to the simplicity in the style of writing. Having said that, I've read
I usually like Yoshimoto Banana's stories, but Tsugumi and Maria didn't offer any interesting angles or stories for me. The former was an egocentric special snowflake brat and the latter's a female Jared Kushner.The evocation of an idyllic seaside town was cool but even that couldn't save the novel from Tsugumi. #byefelicia #byetsugumi
You may have noticed the presence of a new page on my blog: Translated YA. I am making a conscious effort to read translated works of YA lit because I feel that not enough attention is granted to an immense body of work out there. I am deeply interested in the glimpses of societies and cultures given through these works. I am also curious about gender and narrative constructions in works by authors who are not North American.Goodbye Tsugumi is a gentle book. Its like a calm seashore. It has the
It's been decades since I read Banana Yoshimoto, but she's still good! I really enjoyed the style of writing, the translator did a good job in conveying all the details.A contemplative and thoughtful slice of life, until tragedy changes everything at the end. It really is every dog owner's worst nightmare. And Tsugumi, being the irrepressible force of nature that she is, dials the stakes up to 11. You'll feel some emotions and you'll never forget the impression that Tsugumi leaves on you.The


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.