Metaphors We Live By 
I first read parts of this book nearly 20 years ago. I meant to get my hands on the whole thing back then too and read it from cover to cover, but for one reason or another I never seemed to get around to it. This is a pity, as it is the sort of book I really ought to have read in full back then and perhaps again a couple of times since. This really is an interesting book.The main idea is that rather than metaphors being curious literary devices, that they in fact are central to how we
I was assigned to read about 75% of this book for a class at Rowan University (only 75% because the professor assigned the chapters he felt were most relevant to our specific course requirements). It fascinated me so much that I'm continuing to read it on my own time.I always thought of metaphors the way a typical writer uses them: as descriptive techniques used to add color to a scene, like an artist adding details with his brush (see what I did there?). This book showed me that metaphors are,

This book packed a lot of ideas into my mind, which expanded and stretched my mind, ultimately blowing my mind. It'll take me a long time to digest these ideas, which I found palatable but very chewy.
The point is that everything we think or say is a metaphor. This seems obvious, but the authors' examples constantly catch me off-guard. The afterword, written a few years ago, is important.The book begins with the metaphors of "time is money" and "arguement is war". Respective examples are: "Is it worth your while?" and "Disagree? Go ahead, shoot". Lakoff and Johnson make the point that societies exist in which time is not a resource- sitting on a hammock is not "wasting time". Also there are
This book was eye-opening. Many books provide new things to think about, this book provided new ways to think. As a Christian and Designer, I found book helpful in helping me reframe and better understand the way we think about things. As a Designer, this provides new ways for me to think through and communicate Design challenges we may encounter. As a Christian, this helps me better understand the way people think about many of the more abstract concepts within faith.Lastly, I think the
I got quite a nutritious repast out of this, though the didactic presentation and excessive repeating of elements of their arguments stuck in my throat sometimes. Already you may detect me using a metaphor of reading as a meal of food. Which builds on another metaphor of ideas as objects that can be conveyed as through a conduit (a throat). I cant think without metaphors, so some of the edifice here is often preaching to the choir (to lean on another metaphor). Yet I was inspired how the authors
George Lakoff
Paperback | Pages: 276 pages Rating: 4.1 | 4634 Users | 376 Reviews

List Containing Books Metaphors We Live By
| Title | : | Metaphors We Live By |
| Author | : | George Lakoff |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 276 pages |
| Published | : | 2003 by University of Chicago Press (first published 1980) |
| Categories | : | Philosophy. Nonfiction. Humanities. Linguistics. Psychology. Language. Science |
Interpretation To Books Metaphors We Live By
The now-classic Metaphors We Live By changed our understanding of metaphor and its role in language and the mind. Metaphor, the authors explain, is a fundamental mechanism of mind, one that allows us to use what we know about our physical and social experience to provide understanding of countless other subjects. Because such metaphors structure our most basic understandings of our experience, they are "metaphors we live by", metaphors that can shape our perceptions and actions without our ever noticing them.
In this updated edition of Lakoff and Johnson's influential book, the authors supply an afterword surveying how their theory of metaphor has developed within the cognitive sciences to become central to the contemporary understanding of how we think and how we express our thoughts in language.
In this updated edition of Lakoff and Johnson's influential book, the authors supply an afterword surveying how their theory of metaphor has developed within the cognitive sciences to become central to the contemporary understanding of how we think and how we express our thoughts in language.
Describe Books Concering Metaphors We Live By
| Original Title: | Metaphors We Live By |
| ISBN: | 0226468011 (ISBN13: 9780226468013) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Rating Containing Books Metaphors We Live By
Ratings: 4.1 From 4634 Users | 376 ReviewsPiece Containing Books Metaphors We Live By
Here are my reading notes. I thought the book was fine. Mostly interesting in the first half. The rest of the book contains a lot of repetitive statements and circular phrases.# The metaphor as a conceptThe way we talk is peppered with metaphors. For instance, we talk of debates the way we talk of warfare.These metaphors often extend beyond a simple idiom and define a whole system of thought. For instance, we think of time as money -- as a commodity -- and so we use a slew of expressions likeI first read parts of this book nearly 20 years ago. I meant to get my hands on the whole thing back then too and read it from cover to cover, but for one reason or another I never seemed to get around to it. This is a pity, as it is the sort of book I really ought to have read in full back then and perhaps again a couple of times since. This really is an interesting book.The main idea is that rather than metaphors being curious literary devices, that they in fact are central to how we
I was assigned to read about 75% of this book for a class at Rowan University (only 75% because the professor assigned the chapters he felt were most relevant to our specific course requirements). It fascinated me so much that I'm continuing to read it on my own time.I always thought of metaphors the way a typical writer uses them: as descriptive techniques used to add color to a scene, like an artist adding details with his brush (see what I did there?). This book showed me that metaphors are,

This book packed a lot of ideas into my mind, which expanded and stretched my mind, ultimately blowing my mind. It'll take me a long time to digest these ideas, which I found palatable but very chewy.
The point is that everything we think or say is a metaphor. This seems obvious, but the authors' examples constantly catch me off-guard. The afterword, written a few years ago, is important.The book begins with the metaphors of "time is money" and "arguement is war". Respective examples are: "Is it worth your while?" and "Disagree? Go ahead, shoot". Lakoff and Johnson make the point that societies exist in which time is not a resource- sitting on a hammock is not "wasting time". Also there are
This book was eye-opening. Many books provide new things to think about, this book provided new ways to think. As a Christian and Designer, I found book helpful in helping me reframe and better understand the way we think about things. As a Designer, this provides new ways for me to think through and communicate Design challenges we may encounter. As a Christian, this helps me better understand the way people think about many of the more abstract concepts within faith.Lastly, I think the
I got quite a nutritious repast out of this, though the didactic presentation and excessive repeating of elements of their arguments stuck in my throat sometimes. Already you may detect me using a metaphor of reading as a meal of food. Which builds on another metaphor of ideas as objects that can be conveyed as through a conduit (a throat). I cant think without metaphors, so some of the edifice here is often preaching to the choir (to lean on another metaphor). Yet I was inspired how the authors


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.